RIP: Leon Redbone

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/30/rip-leon-redbone.html

7 Likes

That’s sad, I saw him in like 75 or 76

2 Likes

He is hanging out with Sun Ra on Saturn.

11 Likes

first time I saw him was as a music guest on SNL - must have been season 1 or 2?

5 Likes

I saw him a bit later, opening for Randy Newman. He spent more time tuning his guitar than talking, but the songs were great and oh, that voice.

2 Likes
10 Likes

Hope you took your walking stick, Leon. RIP.

6 Likes

When apparently he was in his 20s…or 80s.

3 Likes

Yeah that was the one. At the Seattle Center…I want to say the Arena or the O House

2 Likes

One of the first concerts I ever attended was Leon back in '74 or '75 at Soldiers and Sailors Hall in Pittsburgh. He opened up for David Bromberg. What a night! He will be sadly missed.

7 Likes

I remember the Opera House and a guy with a tuba.

2 Likes

I saw him in 1975 at Seaton Hall in New Jersey, it was a fantastic show!

5 Likes

Mr. Redbone got me through some dark times. Thank you, sir.

6 Likes

One of our finest anachronisms. I love Mr. Redbone.

2 Likes

Saw him at the Beacon Theater in NYC sometime in the 70’s. Lots of marijuana humor, like moving incredibly slowly to pick up his guitar. You had to be stoned to see what was so funny. His taste in music and arrangements was exquisite. I learned much from listening to all his albums and enjoyed myself richly.

1 Like

He was no John Fahey.

Yes, but then, John Fahey was no Leon Redbone.

4 Likes

That’s how I first encountered him, but it would’ve been a later appearance, late 1982 or early 1983 (“Sweet Sue” was one of the songs).

That, and Budweiser commercials.

from an article on several web sites:

But it was Redbone’s appearances on two first-season episodes (a rarity, even then) of Saturday Night Live – particularly a performance of his signature tune “Walkin’ Stick” – that brought national recognition, placing him among that show’s early pantheon of quirky personalities like Andy Kaufman, Albert Brooks, Scred & King Ploobis. In turn, they gave the fledgling NBC late-night comedy an element of counterculture eccentricity. In all, Redbone appeared on SNL four times, including twice in the first season, once in Season 3 (1977) and again in Season 8 (1983).

1 Like