Road rage causes a spectacular, horrifying accident

Indeed. In autocross, when a novice starts to lose control, the rule is to put “both feet in.” That’s assuming a manual transmission, where the left foot goes to the clutch, but the big concern is that the braking foot often deflects off the brake onto the accelerator.

3 Likes

Not trying to defend the kicker, but the car driver was clearly erratic. If it wasn’t him(the kicker) it would be something else.

The footage doesn’t show what the driver did prior to the kick. As I and others have said before, an unexpected impact to a vehicle would be enough to cause a driver to swerve. It’s analogous to throwing your shoe at another person’s windshield. Would the impact cause them to swerve? Probably not, but the surprise likely would.

It doesn’t matter that the driver “might” have an accident some other way. The motorcyclist caused one when he kicked the car.

2 Likes

I know one never should, but I wanted to see if there was more information in the YouTube comments. There isn’t, but it’s interesting see the YouTubers have basically the same argument as us, only a lot less politely and with markedly more name-calling and rage.

8 Likes

You are a braver man than I am Gunga-Din.

5 Likes

Or just masochistic :confused:

4 Likes

Brave or foolhardy?

4 Likes

Lanespliting is only legally allowed when traveling bellow 35 mph.

1 Like

My 2 cents:

1. Based on the comments by the videographer on youtube, the car cut off the motorcyclist. The car is obviously wrong here.
  2. The motorcyclist, in what I assume is blood rage caused by almost being killed by a careless driver, speeds up next to the car to kick it. The motorcyclist is wrong here as kicking the car only puts his life in further danger and likely would not teach the driver anything.
  3. The car driver tries to hit the motorcyclist with his vehicle and is lucky he did not kill himself by assaulting him with a deadly weapon. The driver’s move causes him to loose control of his own vehicle and then veer over to the other lanes causing damage and injury. The car driver is at fault here and in my opinion liable for reckless endangerment and assault with a deadly weapon as well as a few other misdemeanors from the traffic code.

I totally agree that they should talk to the motorcyclist to find out what happened from his/her end but unless it comes back that he was firing 9mm rounds into the window of the car after he kicked it, then the car operator is screwed. The motorcyclist probably violated several other laws including vandalism.

2 Likes

If a small bump to your rear quarter panel makes you do a 90 degree steering wheel turn left than right you shouldn’t be driving. Again, not excusing the kicker, but it could have been anything to cause this reaction.

The only other possibility is the car driver was trying to hit the motorcyclist.

If that’s the case, then it’s no longer a guess. Swerving once could be a startled reaction. Swerving toward the bike more than once isn’t an accident.

It seems like leaving the scene would be the bigger charge.

4 Likes

Throwing things at cars is a crime in CA, with sentances up to felony level, for the reasons I explained.

“Driving an automobile is an activity that is potentially very dangerous. Cars driven at freeway speeds can suddenly turn into two-ton missiles if the driver loses control. When this happens a driver may be involved in a collision that causes massive destruction to life and property. One of the things that may interfere with a driver’s ability to drive safely occurs when something is thrown at that driver’s vehicle. Given the potential danger associated with this activity, throwing substances at a vehicle is a serious criminal offense under California Vehicle Code Section 23110 VC.”

https://www.losangelescriminallawyer.pro/california-vehicle-code-section-23110-vc-throwing-substance-at-a.html

Yes, they are both wrong. The motorcyclist has a moron but the car driver was a goddamned maniac. The car drivers actions are leagues past the motorcyclist, and their lack of ,or, erratic driving skill is at fault.

Someone could kick my bumper all the way down the road and I would not even drift an inch, and there is absolutely nothing special about my driving. I would think 99.5% of drivers are capable of the same.

Either party could have disengaged at any time. The biker appears to have instigated the altercation after being cut off, and continuing to escalate and kicking the car at risk to himself. I don’t think he’s any better or worse than the driver.

2 Likes

Oh. Let’s all play the game!

6 Likes

The motorcyclist clearly didn’t realize his own strength.

5 Likes

You reckon?

5 Likes

I don’t like the reactions any of them chose, but I remain impressed with the bikers reaction time.

4 Likes

Holy Carp! Thank you for the update.

3 Likes

Grand Theft BoingBoing :wink:

1 Like