Road rage causes a spectacular, horrifying accident

Just came back to this; maybe somebody else already said something along those lines, but anyway:

This illustrates perfectly the problem with revenge: more often than not, in the end the wrong guy gets hit.

5 Likes

I prefer to imagine that thereā€™s a small group of intensely agoraphobic sociopaths, each with multiple accounts. In fact, some comment sections are, other than most of any pleasant comments, only one sociopath arguing with zirself*.

* ā€œThemselvesā€ sounded wrong in that sentence, so iā€™m using the non-traditional non-gendered third person pronoun found in this table.

4 Likes

ā€œtalking with themselvesā€ works in British English, I first heard it being used when talking about a mentally ill person long before I started using they as non-gendered singular.

1 Like

American English as well. Itā€™s just in that sentence that it felt awkward to me.

1 Like

Uh ohā€¦

each with multiple accounts.

oh, phew, not me. :wink:

Iā€™d go with ā€œthe act of kicking a car that has repeatedly swerved at you, and in front of you, and will not ALLOW you to pass it on a public highway, poses a dangerā€.

That the car seems to have crossed into the divided HOV lane to carry on the shenanigans ā€¦ I mean, REALLY?!? Weā€™re not going to at our best when someone is violently assaulting us with a deadly weapon, suddenly. Is that when you make -your- best decisions?

Itā€™s pretty much a human reflex to see conflict from outside of it, and assign blame equally.

But car vs. motorcyle isnā€™t equal. Not sharing the road and letting someone pass you isnā€™t respecting equality. Itā€™s just not sharing.

I may not have kicked that car, but if I were in my own car, Iā€™d give em a bronx cheer, and if they swerved at me Iā€™m pretty sure the outcome for them would be about the same as it was here. Kicking is ill advised - starting a fight with someone faster and better at you in the ring YOU PUT THEM INā€¦ will always fail to pay those emotional dividends.

That dude EARNED his wrecked car, and I am glad for this video evidence, which will both raise his insurance rates through the roof (possibly to the point of not being able to afford it), and possibly cost him his right to operate. That is once that driver is out of prison.

The biker probably deserves a ticket. Nothing more.

1 Like

"when the man on a Harley Davidson-type motorcycle passed them on the left, riding close to the double-yellow lines that separate the general traffic lanes from the HOV lanes.

About 150 feet ahead was a Nissan sedan driving in the HOV lane, Traber said. Just as the motorcyclist was passing the sedan on the right-hand side, the sedan tried to exit the carpool lane and enter the No. 1 lane. Thatā€™s when the car bumped the bike.ā€œIā€™m sure he didnā€™t see the motorcyclist,ā€ Traber said of the driver.

ā€œThe CHP is handling the investigation and did not cite the driver of the sedan. Investigators need to interview the motorcyclist to get the whole story before any decisions are made, officials said. The case is now considered a hit-and-run.ā€

2 Likes

Hang on, prior to the documented swerving incident, the car had already made CONTACT with the bike once? And the CHP are calling it a hit and run? Why did the driver not pull over and call CHP at that time?

I frankly donā€™t believe that the driver of that car will not be charged with assault, and found at fault for the accident. Lets see how it pans out when they stop posturing to smoke the guy out. He got away with it, think he will come back to see justice done?

For the record, assault with a deadly weapon is not a ā€˜citationā€™. If they choose not to cite the driver for his driving, thatā€™s the CHPs call. I guess they canā€™t cite the driver for his hit and run, the one he did not pull over after, when he initially struck the bike by failing to drive safely. Plenty of time for less traffic related charges to come down, even without the biker as a witness. The eyewitness and video evidence is pretty damning of the driver.

the notion that this is a chain reaction to a kick, and not a chain reaction from a striking a biker and then not pulling overā€¦ itā€™s funny to me in a not at all funny sort of way.

Folks really want to blame the biker. I guess we all identify with whom we identify in this story. Probably why so many folks have such strong opinions.

But having a ā€œconversationā€ in traffic, that makes you part of the problem. 100% not appropriate.

I can see that you want to blame the driver and absolve the biker for some reason. I think that both parties are at fault.

2 Likes

you cannot see what I want. Thatā€™s an unpossible assertion. You canā€™t mindread. Thanks.

Iā€™ve said both parties are at fault, Iā€™ve also said the ā€˜playing fieldā€™ between cars and cycles is inherently not level, so the car was the bigger asshole, and the biker the much much better driver. Muchly. He or she managed to avoid contact other than when someone merged into them.

thank you for respecting what Iā€™ve said, and not carrying on mis-stating it.

1 Like

Guys, guys, guysā€¦

http://imgur.com/dXKzJvY

12 Likes

seriously. Sheesh.

Arenā€™t unique experiences and varied POVs celebrated here? Time wasā€¦

1 Like

I decided the impact bust a container of something and the sparks lit it. Fuel pipe perhaps? Just a small explosion, but definitely flames, I thought.

2 Likes

Pissing contest removed, however the GIF pointing it out gets to live.

STAY ON TOPIC. Road Rage of the motorist vs motorcyclist and vice versa, not ā€œInternet Forum Rageā€ would be the topic.

4 Likes

I have almost clipped a couple of motorcycles who were lane-splitting in heavy traffic - they pop out from behind a car, and they will pass you even if youā€™re already in the process of changing lanes. But the traffic doesnā€™t seem heavy enough here for the guy in the HOV to have missed a Harley. Theyā€™re not quiet.

2 Likes

Heavy traffic doesnā€™t really factor in if someone is in your blind spot.The type of bike has also not been confirmed as the biker has not come forward or been found. Other reports described the bike as a large scooter.

ETA: what you quoted is the man who filmed the altercationā€™s description of the initial incident. That is not an account of what was in the video.

That brings up another point: deaf people have driverā€™s licences too. You canā€™t count on your lack of a muffler to alert someone youā€™re in their blind spot, even if the driver is hearing. Better to stay out of the blind spot altogether. Not always manageable in heavy traffic, but in light traffic it should be.

2 Likes

Three lefts do.

Oh wow, you are totally right. I know ASL and I forgot that! How embarrassing.

1 Like

Do you even BBS? :wink: my evidence, this thread prior to mod action.