Robert Hulseman, creator of the Red Solo Cup, RIP

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/30/robert-hulseman-creator-of-th.html

2 Likes

Does he get put on the Sgt Pepper album cover or does the cup?

10 Likes

Every Keg Beer Party ever thanks you Robert Hulseman.

7 Likes

“Massively popular” as in “I have to pick them up off my street on Sunday morning after a football game”.

14 Likes

Neither have I.

6 Likes

I thought that guy in the back-center died about 1700 years ago.

1 Like

Admiral Ackbar?

I always thought “a long time ago” was older than that but I guess it checks out.

edit

Oh wait. Ackbar’s in the back right.

Santa Claus is dead?!?

6 Likes

They forgot to credit the HCWDB website.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry about that.

Up on the rooftop, there arose such a clatter, and I live in a ‘stand your ground’ state, after all. Honest mistake.

5 Likes

Pourin’ one out for my homie.

12 Likes

7 Likes

First we lost LEIA, & now SOLO?! …
The Dark Side has been strong with 2016.
:sob: :wink:

16 Likes

What was the point of those conical cups? I remember plastic holders for them so you could set them down, but that was kind of a kludge. Were they that much cheaper to manufacture than flat-bottomed cups?

The only place I’ve seen them in at least 20 years is shaved ice carts.

1 Like

Maybe they needed to match the building?

6 Likes

Put the cup, please.

1 Like
4 Likes

Beat me to it by 15 minutes. Good job.

1 Like

Mandela Effect here. In my memory, Solo cups have always been blue.

1 Like

There was a great Reddit thread a while back of “European university students, what were things that surprised you coming to America for a year abroad” (or some such) – and one of the things that was recurring theme was the surprise at the ubiquity of the Red Solo Cup – apparently, it’s such a background thing in US movies/TV that Europeans had imagined it was just a cheap way to do deal with the props; but were stunned to see it existed as a real every day thing.

6 Likes

You exit the same way you came into this world. Solo.

3 Likes