Robot riding on turtle's back steers it with "carrot-on-a-stick" technique

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/08/robot-riding-on-turtles-back.html

1 Like

Poor turtle!

When I hear news like this, I immediately know that it was funded by a supervillain.

7 Likes

For the three thousand, seven hundred, and thirty-first time, I am not a supervillain. I am a mad scientist.

I have no superpowers except for those that SCIENCE gives me, unlike those pathetic “supervillains” who have the strength of a thousand men, the speed of a fighter jet, and the brains of an ostrich.

And soon, my army of robot-guided snapping turtles will show you! Show you all!

Muahahahahahahaha!!!

7 Likes

I initially read it as the “carrot and stick technique” and thought “my god, how exactly does the robot punish that poor turtle?”

7 Likes

It robots and turtles all the way down.

8 Likes

In what application is this a better solution than an all robotic “turtle”?

Of course, if the goal is to simply torment turtles, then an all robotic turtle would completely fail.

4 Likes

Today it’s turtles.

Tomorrow, bees? Elephants? Uber drivers?

3 Likes

I sense a particular trajectory here.

3 Likes

Control yourself, Mr. Not-a-Supervillain Man.

3 Likes

this is one of my favourite film posters ever, love the tag-line:

4 Likes

George C. Scott would have loved the poster’s … pertinence.

1 Like

We’d be in a world of shit if they ever ‘turned’ chipmunks. That’s for sure.

2 Likes

After the singularity, that’s what future little old ladies with a deist interpretation of the merging of organic beings with robots will say to athiests at their lectures about how illegible AI created the singularity on their own.

3 Likes

Could you be more specific?

:wink:

3 Likes

And fast, also:

5 Likes

I for one welcome our new robotic turtle overlords.

2 Likes

Pa, Pha want Bee, now!

1 Like

Wait, what? Is that real?

Real, as far as the movie having been made. And this from Wiki:

Differences from the novel (on which the film was based) and other sources of inspiration [edit]

Merle’s novel, a satire of the Cold War, is supposedly the basis for this film, but the film’s plot was substantially different from that of the novel. The movie is instead inspired in part from the scientist John C. Lilly’s life. A physician, biophysicist, neuroscientist, and inventor, Lilly specialized in the study of consciousness. In 1959, he founded the Communications Research Institute at St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands and served as its director until 1968. There he worked with dolphins exploring dolphin intelligence and human-dolphin communication.

1 Like

Great memory!! That was used a lot in the TV adverts.

1 Like