Rocky and Bullwinkle turn 61

It’s a binary thing, you’re either older or younger.

1 Like

Moose und Squirrel.

Their disappearance in the culture will be a tragedy.

3 Likes

And a nice Philadelphia Story call back

6 Likes

Back around 1990s, a joke came out on Usenet.
“Hey, Rocky, watch me pull a computer program out of my hat!”
" 100 PROCEDURE DIVISION " and a few more lines
“Oops, better get another hat.”

Coworker and I were cracking up about it, but our younger coworkers didn’t get it. The scary part was they recognized the COBOL program for what it was … they didn’t know who Rocky and Bullwinkle were.

6 Likes

I’m constantly surprised to find things that I thought were much older that turned out to have been brand new or close to it when I encountered them. The Cat In The Hat was from 1957, and much of Dr Suess was from after I was born.

2 Likes

I had the delight to hear June Foray, the voice of Rocket J. Squirrel - Rocky - in Chicago, in a live read of a scene from Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Here was this diminutive woman standing on stage and none of us knew who she was - until her part came up and she said, "But, Bullwinkle… ", which brought the entire theater to a standing ovation and cheers for several minutes, as it became evident we were watching the legendary June Foray voice Rocky. It was magnificent!

We learned of the publicity tricks that Jay Ward - the creator of R & B - used to spread the word about the show. Both Rocky and Bullwinkle’s middle initial is “J”, for Jay, by the way.

The only thing that has come close to Rocky and Bullwinkle’s genius in 61 years, in my opinion, has been Pinky and The Brain.

I love the satire, the creative wit, the endless digs at those in power and all the sacred cows in the US, etc. Jay Ward was a creative genius.

3 Likes

Oooookay, so I live at this weird intersection of boats and words, as many old hands around here might attest. ‘Yare’ is the old term of art from marine architecture, but good Kate here, in this very scene, seems to have changed the spelling everyone uses. Language change in action, my boingers.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call the characters down for the count just yet. Dreamworks Animation launched a reboot in 2018 that did a decent job capturing the spirit of the original. Certainly better than the 2000 live-action film (which was by all accounts terrible).

1 Like

MeTV is supposed to start airing Looney Tunes cartoons. I’m not sure which ones, but I hope Witch Hazel and Gossamer are on the list.

The original show is streaming on wcostream.com

1 Like

She was the voice of Little Ricky’s dog in I Love Lucy… yes she was everywhere.

People called her the female Mel Blanc but really Mel Blanc was the male June Foray.

5 Likes

All a reminder for me to check what I suspected all these years (and finally verified); her dubbing on “Jaws”. (One of the kids sounded like Rocky the Flying Squirrel.)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.