Watch Bullwinkle the television puppet tell kids to pull the knobs off their TV sets (1961)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/12/watch-bullwinkle-the-television-puppet-tell-kids-to-pull-the-knobs-off-their-tv-sets-1961.html

7 Likes

Those who forget* history are doomed to repeat it**.

*Weird Al Yankovic
**use the same suggestion in the opening credits song of “UHF”.

11 Likes

Reminds me of the Soupy Sales incident (in which he told kids to get a dollar from mom’s purse and mail it him),
not to mention the Winky Dink problem. Kids were supposed to buy a plastic screen to cover the tv, then draw on it with a marker to help Winky Dink escape situations, like by drawing a bridge over a river.
Guess how many kids skipped the step of getting the plastic screen?.jpg

18 Likes

Here is Soupy explaining what transpired…

He’d be hard to beat…
'Cept maybe televangilists

12 Likes

Sort of the kiddo version of Alfred Hitchcock’s irreverent thumb-in-the-eye intro/outros.

5 Likes

I was watching Pee Wee Herman - on one of his episodes, dunno which - he had set up the Word Of The Day: “What?” - and, of course, when anybody said the word everyone had to scream real loud. THEN - he segues to the commercial break by telling kids to go into the kitchen, grab pots and pans and make a real loud marching band.

When I saw that I fell apart. All across the nation there were kids marching through their house, clanging pots and pans, early on a Saturday morning - and the parents would storm out and ask: “What are you doing?!” — but they’d only get as far as “What”.

brilliant

17 Likes

I’m 45 and believe me, I’ve watched more than my fair share of Rocky and Bullwinkle reruns, but I’ve never even heard of a puppet until now.
can someone older than me explain this?
edit: replied to DS by mistake. sorry!

16 Likes

i’m old - and i don’t remember a Bullwinkle puppet either - but then again, i’m old

12 Likes

Yeah, I’d never heard of a Bullwinkle puppet myself, but a quick google reveals that in 1961 the cartoon was moved to NBC and renamed The Bullwinkle Show and the puppet shorts were a brief addition.

5 Likes

Honestly, I was more shocked to hear him describe a segment entitled “The worst of anime 1” :laughing:.

2 Likes

There are earworms… and there are EARWORMS.

9 Likes

Today’s equivalent is “Alexa, Buy Me A Dollhouse” etc.

I’m related by marriage to Bullwinkle. I didn’t know him well, but the late great Bill Scott did a number of voices and wrote much of the material. His normal voice was like that of a professional orator and he looked good in a suit. But, the stuff was rebellious.

They were once cautioned by a censor that to have Rocky & Bullwinkle tied up with a fire lit underneath them by a “native” was not allowed because you can’t be showing cannibalism during the children’s TV hours. Jay Ward appealed: since when is it cannibalism to eat a moose and a squirrel?

14 Likes

That’s “Anna May Wong,” but it took me moment.

7 Likes

TV

9 Likes

I think if you had a color tv set, you got three dimensional Bullwinkle.

Actually, at first glance I assumed they’d made a puppet to do a public service ad. Maybe connected to Newton Minnow’s calling commercial tv a vast wasteland, in May 1961.

1 Like

Ruben Bolling (who draws the Super Fun-Pak Comics parody of newspaper comics pages that gets posted occasionally to BoingBoing) has used that “send your parents’ money to me” bit in his “Uncle Art’s Funland”

1 Like

I do not remember Bullwinkle as anything but a cartoon, with Rocket J. Squirrel. Does anyone know what college Bullwinkle graduated from> WhatsamattaU.

Now Kukla, Fran and Ollie were puppets, as was Lambchop.
Fractured Fairy Tales. Boris and Natasha. Back in the days when Captain Crunch tasted good.

2 Likes

My favorite from that era was when George of the Jungle mis-called the hippos, and it brought out the hippies.

2 Likes

Which is why I can remember it 55 years later.
PS: This is the 50s version. I saw the 60s version. Shorter and no orchestra.

1 Like

Speaking of Jay Ward, I had not heard of Hoppity Hooper until my son got a multi-DVD pack of public domain cartoons as a gift. This particular segment will be of interest to this website and its readers/viewers:

4 Likes