Rocky and Bullwinkle turn 61

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/22/rocky-and-bullwinkle-turn-61.html

11 Likes

The jokes were dumb, the animation terrible, and the thin plots were stretched across way too many episodes.

Still I watched it with my dad in deep 90s syndication and we both loved it.

6 Likes

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends debuted on ABC and NBC at 5:30 pm on November 19, 1959.

How did something debut on 2 channels?

My favorite Rocky and Bullwinkle story. It’s about the time creator Jay Ward interfered with the Cuba Missile Crisis:

3 Likes

14:13
Johnny… what is this? DOGGY!
Suzy… what us this? KITTY!

Oh, to be a voice-actor on that show!

Anyway, on the show was a segment called Fractured Fairy Tales, with the narrator being Edward Everett Horton. My alma mater’s ‘wall of fame’ shows Horton as having attended there (!!!)… but I have no idea what could have possibly been his major.

4 Likes

So I’m a month older.

Kids today don’t know what it was like.

A handful of stations, if you were lucky, and nothing overnight. A lot got recycled. Not just silent movies (in bad shape) but kids shows saw long life. I have no idea when I first noticed tv, but the Mickey Mouse Club was some of it, when its first run ended in 1959. Rocky & Bullwinkle always seemed to be there.

And yet some classic cartoons had such a short first run. Space Ghost and the other Hanna-Barbera (other than the Flintstones) often had runs of a few months, and then endless reruns

I didn’t even know about Saturday morning cartoons until a kid moved in across the street about 1966.

4 Likes

Does anyone know if there’s a good DVD set of Rocky and Bullwinkle out? I seem to remember looking a few years ago and there wasn’t or it was out of print.

2 Likes

Donald J. Trump is a toon!

6 Likes

Check out this 1988 recording form an Asifa Hollywood presentation at a mall where June Foray, Corey Burton and Greg Berg perform a Rocky and Bullwinkle sketch live:

5 Likes

I beg to differ! Groan-worthy Bad puns are one of the highest form of comedy, and that was their bread and butter.

12 Likes

One of the highlights of my youth was getting to meet June Foray (voice of Natasha and Rocky, among many other cartoon characters) at an awards ceremony for student animation. She seemed to have had a great time doing her thing for as long as she did.

6 Likes

Love the gag when the King discovers the straw spun into gold and proclaims “I’m rich…er!

4 Likes

Awesome!

I got to meet her at her 90s birthday celebration Asifa event. She did Talky Tina to me and it is a cherished memory. I sat at a table with a Childhood friend of hers and that was amazing to hear stories.

6 Likes

Nice! I’m pretty active in the ASIFA-SF chapter these days (at least when there isn’t a pandemic stopping us from holding screenings).

4 Likes

I was going to the Hollywood events and used to vote in the Annie awards but that shakup where Disney leaned on them after Kung Fu Panda won and they kicked non-industry people out of the vote process did irritate me to the point where I let my membership lapse.

4 Likes

I called them dumb but didn’t mean they were bad! Meanwhile you’re calling them bad but not dumb. It was still great goofy comedy either way.

4 Likes

Back in 1978 I had the good fortune to be named an honorary senator of Mooselvania by JayWard himself.
At the same occasion my gal received a bottle of “Moon Over Pomona” perfume.
“No doubt about it, gotta get a new hat…”

6 Likes

I recall hearing her dub the voice of an evil doll in a Twilight Zone OS episode. Eerie.

She was everywhere, it seemed.

3 Likes

She was certainly prolific.

One of my favorite June Foray lines was this risqué bit where “Grandmother Fa” takes in the view of her granddaughter’s new fiancé.

grandma-fa

5 Likes

I liked how she played Witch Hazel for both Disney and Warner Brothers. (How did WB ever get away with ripping off that character and use the same voice actor?) When June started voicing the role in 1952 she was only 35 years old, but she managed to provide the perfect cackle for that old bat for decades. Same goes for Granny, who she started voicing at age 33.

7 Likes

Today I learned that I am older than Rocky and Bullwinkle.

7 Likes