Roe v. Wade is to be overturned but media seems to care more about the "leak" violating "norms"

Gonna be a dick about this one, but yeah…

I had to sign up for the draft. But that’s pretty much it.

Also, IMHO r.e. the leak, so the court was set to release this later this summer right? Allowing this out prior to that sends pretty big signal prior to primary elections set to happen later this summer. I’m guessing that if this hadn’t been “leaked” that this would have come out a little too late to influence elections, and someone decided that a conservative show of power was likely to be more motivational than liberal backlash against the leak (or that video of protests could be used in conservative fascist power grabs much like BLM/Antifa became the scapegoat for all of white america’s ills).

3 Likes

And has the draft been active in your entire life? Not unless you were born before 1972 and were old enough to serve.

Not the same thing at all. Please don’t do this.

17 Likes
10 Likes

Not saying it’s the same thing at all, but people will point out things if you make statements like “any laws”. And yes, I am an old ass MF-er.

Why provide ammo to the other side?

Also, pointing out potential flaws in an argument allows for strengthening that argument and creating better tactics.

I really would like people without wombs to stop trying to make this about anything other than what it is, which is women’s rights.

22 Likes

That DOES provide ammo for the other side, that the draft is exactly like restricting abortion.

13 Likes

There’s the selective service law. I’m drawing a blank otherwise.

Okay, then where’s the lottery system for women to enter and see if their number gets pulled, removing their reproductive freedoms?

17 Likes

It wasn’t just men who had to register for the draft. I did before it was d/c’ed - it was later reinstated in 1980.

Women with trans backgrounds register. Regardless of whether they transitioned as toddlers.

It’s also a bullshit comparison. Filling out a form vs not having control over your own body for real - right now.

24 Likes

Sammy Alito has no right to privacy.

Suck it up, buttercup.

19 Likes

Should we send Alito a copy of the Pelican Brief and say sweet dreams?

4 Likes

Your being drafted at some point long ago in the past is completely irrelevant;

I guarantee that no one has ever tried to force you to give birth.

This isn’t the post to do that shit, so please stop it.

21 Likes

Season 4 Comedy GIF by Brockmire

18 Likes

Come on, that’s f’ing ridiculous argument. I’m running away now…

13 Likes

Putting this back seeing as it was a reply to a comment that no longer exists. It is left as an exercise to the reader to wonder why that is.

Thousands upon thousands of real people are freaking out today, with girls born today having potentially less rights to their own bodies than their own grandmothers had, real people scared for their futures, looking for healthcare and safety, knowing this could lead to death for so many people.

Some people get to just discuss it at a distance, knowing it will barely affect them.

28 Likes

Like me, and I am really angry and worried about this.

If the supreme court seriously overturned that law, I don’t know how this authoritarian bullshit cannot lead to paint suffering, and more violence against women.

As a white European man, this won’t directly affect mez probably. But fuck this shit anyway, because human rights are supposed to be fucking universal!

20 Likes

Men in the USA, we should be shouting as loud as our partners, mothers, sisters, and friends right now, and into the Midterms, then beyond to the 2024 elections.

Women already have to shoulder the burden of abortions.

Don’t make them shoulder all the burden of fighting for the right to have them too.

This is our fight as well.

I incorrectly posted to the wrong thread, so I may have double posted.

27 Likes
26 Likes

Even if the “leak” story had any legs to begin with (which it doesn’t – as @Mindysan33 stated, this is about women’s rights), but even if it did, how, pray tell, is a draft opinion considered non-public information to begin with?? Is it simply precedent/tradition? How is it not US citizenry property to begin with?

3 Likes

This redneck gets it.

6 Likes