Rolling Stone blames Millennials for the ‘Disney Adult’ problem

Another thing resentful adults who made bad decisions for their own happiness say to kids.

17 Likes

Disney in Florida is off-brand Disney. True Disney is in California. Change my mind.

5 Likes

Because it’s for children. Adults are supposed to follow more mature pastimes, such as trying to hit balls into holes in environmentally damaging gated clubs, keeping up with TV shows about how police are always right, or trying to make money off of new ideas such as collectible ape jpgs.

27 Likes

Now you tell me…

8 Likes

Nick Offerman Giggles GIF

10 Likes

I think I’ve said this before but as a kid I went to Disney for the creative fantasy; as an adult I go for the creative engineering & design (& fantasy).

WaPo JUST had an article on this last week.

No paywall: archive.ph

7 Likes

Personally, I find this to be mostly true.

I should map out cosplays for when I get older, like Alec Guinness Obi-Wan, and eventually Emperor Palaptine.

4 Likes

There’s a free, monthly newspaper in my area, and they do an interview with some local person of interest (council member, entrepreneur, whatever). One of the standard questions that they ask everyone - literally everyone! - is, “Favorite Beatle or Beatle’s song?”

It was cringe-y 30 years ago, when the paper started, but at least that was the target demographic for who was local council member being interviewed. Today, it’s just beyond cringe where they’re interviewing someone in their 30s or 40s, and they’re like, “Oh, my grandpa used to like that one song about yellow submarines…”

1 Like

There’s definitely no age limit for that!

22 Likes

Disney itself says it is for Adults too and even publishes a guide for Adults

Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

6 Likes

asa GenX, I recall fellow students having Disney posters (instead of Band and Anime posters like I did). So I think the issue is A) smaller pool of GenX population and B) different social media habits (Blogs, closed Facebook groups (yech)).

And this reporter sucks.

1 Like

Rolling Stone? ok, Boomer.

11 Likes

How dare adults still like the thing they were constantly exposed to and expected to love through their entire childhoods!

14 Likes

Pardon me, heading out to find the author’s Twitter account and make fun of him for working for a magazine that treats the Grateful fucking Dead as civilization’s only enduring masterpiece…

4 Likes

Did this about a decade ago out of curiosity for our family of four (NY based, so cheap flights included). Staying in a semi-budget hotel outside of the park with a multi-day pass and a budget that didn’t require me to say “no” the whole time (buying park food, souvenirs, etc) would have been at least $7,000 and more realistically $10k. I doubt I’ll ever set foot inside the place.

6 Likes

In our house, it’s the Enterprise A. And an X-wing. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Or maybe their parents couldn’t afford to take the whole family when these “Disney Adults” were kids, but now they have some money of their own? There are SO MANY ways that RS is giving the shit take.

16 Likes

Welcome to BB!

This is a super good point. Many (most?) of my hobbies as an adult are things that I couldn’t afford as a child. Now I finally get to do them! This is true of pretty much every Adult Fan Of LEGO (AFOL), for example. Nobody had as much as they wanted (or often any) as a kid, so now we can! It’s the same with middle-aged men who go buy a vintage muscle car. It’s generally the car they wanted when they were 16 and could never get it. Why shouldn’t they enjoy it now?

I always tell people, “I never grew up, my toys just got bigger”. I think I stole that line from somewhere.

17 Likes

I have more of a problem when parents take their kids to a grown-up happening than an adult at a Disney property. Like a dog poking it’s head out of a purse at Safeway, ya look and say “this isn’t an appropriate time/place”.

2 Likes