Romney to vote in favor of article of Trump impeachment on abuse of power

I agree. If people see that a person is just going to be met with disdain from both sides of the issue, it will probably convince them to just remain quiet instead of speak up.

2 Likes

In related good news, Joe Manchin decided not to be a turncoat today.

10 Likes

I just watched his whole speech, and I disagree. It may mean nothing right now, in terms of party politics and Trump’s immediate future, but it is meaningful in a historic context, and it could have meaning for the future of the GOP in general.

Love him or hate him, Romney made an honest and well written speech about the integrity of his oath of office and the integrity of the American political system. He offered very concise rebuttals of the three main defense arguments, and then pointed out that he would now be the victim of the president’s rage, as well as the rage of a million Trumpers; the fact that he is now a hated pariah proves he did not make his decision lightly.

[ETA: Basically, Romney just called out all the other GOP Senators for breaking an oath they made before God to uphold the Constitution. His speech is now part of the public record.]

30 Likes

Honestly if he legitimately wants Trump out of office that’s what he needs to do. And as a 3rd party/independent to try and deliberately split the vote.

This would be an excellent jumping off point. But he’d basically be driving himself off a cliff so I don’t see that happening.

That’s what the complicit love to tell us when they go on the TV, or get to be “sources say”.

It’s just “I was just following orders”.

3 Likes

Chickenshit split his vote.

1 Like

Chickenshit is still the first Senator of any party in the history of the United States to vote in favor of impeachment/removal for a President from his own party. So there’s that.

I’m not stupid enough to think Romney is, or ever will be, on my side. But I’d still like to see more people like him on the other side.

17 Likes

Nah, he’s just making sure he will be still somewhat accepted at his Summer house on Lake Winnipesaukee, NH. It may be all white but, but not really a bastion of red hat MAGAites.

4 Likes

Mitt sees opportunity, that’s all.

Sees opportunity for what? To do the one thing he could do to end his political career forever? Republicans fucking hate Mitt Romney now. He is dead forever to them, even in his home state. In the process, he earned exactly zero Democratic votes. He did nothing but throw himself on his sword, and he is going to get absolutely nothing out of it but hatred from both sides.

But not your tribe, so his motives are somehow by definition malicious, regardless of what he does. There is absolutely no possibility that Romney’s behavior is just because he give a shit, because he isn’t in your tribe. Only people in your tribe could possibly give a shit. That guy over there impaled on his own sword? He is just doing it because he is greedy attention.

Humans are such wretched, tribal, little assholes.

4 Likes

I give credit where credit is due, regardless of a person’s past. Nso matter what team you root for, red or blue. No matter wether you agree with his point or against it. This man has principle and honored it in the face of certain self demise. More than can be said about the vast majority of the members of both teams

Why did he vote yes for Abuse of Power, but no to Obstructing Congress?

2 Likes

Did he not just vote against the entire party line?

My point was less about credit due, and more about getting our hopes up (which we shouldn’t have, as we now know).

3 Likes

Gocha. Damn text minimum.

Resident of Massachusetts here for almost 20 years. I know Mittens. He is hollow as a chocolate bunny. He did this to distinguish himself and seize any opportunity to self aggrandize. Nothing more.

3 Likes

A person can never do a good thing if they have done bad things in the past?

1 Like

Just don’t fool yourself. Romney is only in it for himself. He is not brave or principled.

1 Like

I am not speaking to his entire history or even entire character, just this one act that will, in my estimation, destroy him.

Highly doubtful. If he thought this would end his career he would not have done it.

1 Like

FYI, he speaks of literal identity politics and not the term du jour