Romney to vote in favor of article of Trump impeachment on abuse of power

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/05/romney-to-vote-in-favor-of-art.html

8 Likes

Meh. Means nothing, other than he will be a pariah, and his political career will be over as a Republican.

15 Likes

I think he knows he has already been pushed out of the party. He has nothing to lose.

34 Likes

Not so sure, Utah is… different. Relatively late in the 2016 election there was a legit chance 3rd party candidate Evan McMullin would win Utah. Going into election day, 538 gave him over a 10% chance.

12 Likes

I dunno. I would expect there are others out there who have a partially-formed spine that needed someone to go first. Kinda like this guy:

I said in another post - would be a grand spectacle if Mittens throws his hat into the ring for POTUS. He may have a crew of potential supplicants and admirers (ie moderate republicans) to back him up.

Or not.

18 Likes

Let’s not get our hopes up. It is not impossible, but I have my doubts.

10 Likes

Didn’t vote for him, won’t in the future, but it’s still nice to see at least one of my senators do the right thing, even if on accident.

6 Likes

If Mittens said that a year ago I’d give a fu@k, but saying it now [with zero to lose] don’t mean crap’ola.

10 Likes

I’ll believe it if it actually happens, but not before. Mittens is from the same school of GOPer as McCain; makes reasonable mouth-noises, then votes the party line.

23 Likes

So, he chose to self-immolate himself today rather than finding just two others to initiate a secret ballot that probably would have resulted in trump being tossed out on his ass.

24 Likes

He also has enough money that he won’t have to rely on the wingnut welfare machine after he leaves politics, unlike the poltroons who are voting to acquit even though they’re retiring.

21 Likes

Props where they are due.

Today, I wish that more Republicans acted like Mitt Romney.

16 Likes

Now we just need 28 or so to have a sudden cold.

16 Likes

quick field trip to china for 30 GOPers? (sorry, too soon?)

1 Like

So… Democrats?

10 Likes

I agree, but would like to point out the median personal wealth of GOP senators is 1.4 million. So most don’t HAVE to rely on wingnut welfare to live very comfortably, but they want more than that. Yes, I know 1.4 million doesn’t go very far these days, but it goes much further than the average median wealth of 97k.

6 Likes

I am going to applaud him doing so, regardless of the truth spoken above about him having nothing to lose. Doing the right thing should always be met with applause, regardless of the person’s situation.

19 Likes

Right? Couldn’t parlay it into a coup? Couldn’t convince two others? Fucking useless.

4 Likes

Hmmm, probably not soon enough actually…

3 Likes

It’s mind-boggling that so many Republicans cower to a reality TV game show host. Good for Mittens.

10 Likes