Ron DeSantis adds cops and firefighters to the list of new Florida "teachers"

florida GIF

14 Likes

November can’t get here soon enough. it’ll be Nikki or Charlie up against MoRon, whichever Dem wins next week’s primary.
having already cast my primary ballot, i will just say that either Fried or Crist will get my vote (along with Val Demmings to replace Rubio in the senate).
yes, DeSantis must go down!

26 Likes

Fingers crossed for ya, man; nobody deserves to have someone that hateful and short-sighted in charge of everything.

SMH

25 Likes

Those poor kids

24 Likes

Han Solo Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

16 Likes

Welcome the return of the Know-nothing Party.

14 Likes

DeSantis thinks that teacher training is a big joke and teaching is not a skilled discipline that can be taught. He would never sneer at “police academies” where people learn “how to be cops”.

12 Likes

This would be hilarious if it wasn’t so disconcerting. I mean are they going to give these folks with no background in education the same budget? Will the schools teach anything but indoctrinate folks into the cognitive dissonance of the political right, where they on one hand will be prompted to cherish small government and harbor a distrust of the government while simultaneously holding the military/police in high regard?

What an utter shit show.

13 Likes

According to what I could find it takes just 770 hours of Academy training to be a cop in Florida. Assuming a full-time schedule of 40 hours a week that works out to under 20 weeks, or maybe one semester.

I can’t think of one of my students who was ready to start a full-time career in their field after just one semester of training and my students don’t regularly make life-or-death decisions in the course of their jobs.

23 Likes

Well, obviously, he is correct. His problem is that it isn’t happening fast enough. So he is trying to figure out how to accelerate the flight from facts. Which, as has been frequently pointed out, have an irredeemable progressive slant.

18 Likes

This is a recipe for disaster because kids are hard to wrangle and you can’t depend on a cop to do it right. All cops will do is just hogtie and arrest the kids rather than actually dealing with them as kids. It’s why I hate when schools have any police attached to them in any way especially since more often than not they’ll just handcuff a kid that’s throwing a fit rather than just ignore them (they do this especially with black kids since that’s a “normal” thing in the US).

19 Likes

I’m interested then in the Governor’s school he attended to learn to be so effective with his “real world” governor “craft” (crap?). Obviously the rest of his education was a waste.

5 Likes

Isn’t standardized testing still a thing? Like, it’s one thing to have a retired cop “teaching” middle school, but… if the kids can’t pass the standard tests, isn’t that a problem? Right?

1 Like

They’re not exactly going to employ unqualified people as teachers, but they will lower the requirements for the right kind of people.

4 Likes

Let’s go full Pol Pot and let anyone who wears glasses become a teacher… they gotta be smart.

3 Likes

I think I have seen this in action. A number of the home “schools” here use canned worksheets with no lectures, explanations, tuition, no real support at all (because, of course, the adults don’t know shit about the subject and could not answer any questions or explain any concepts anyway), just fill out worksheets until they are all done, then sit quietly until dismissed. It works about as well as you would expect, but it is very easy to control what ideas the kids are exposed to. Which is kind of the idea, I guess.

19 Likes

You can guess what will happen to the students who opt-out of the Pledge of Allegiance.

Additionally, having unqualified vets as teachers immediately brought this clip from “Back to School” to mind:

7 Likes
5 Likes

Gotta shore up that school-to-prison pipeline. :man_shrugging:

@Carla_Sinclair: While working as teachers, they will, supposedly, work simultaneously on obtaining a bachelor’s degree.

aint nobody got time for that GIF

14 Likes

You probably wouldn’t do a worse job as a cop, though…:wink:

1 Like