Ron DeSantis campaign fires staffer who produced and publicized video posing DeSantis with Nazi sonnenrad emblem

Originally published at: Ron DeSantis campaign fires staffer who produced and publicized video posing DeSantis with Nazi sonnenrad emblem | Boing Boing

9 Likes
10 Likes

How axios covers the consequences for the horses:

https://www.axios.com/2019/05/04/horse-racing-finds-normalcy-kentucky-derby-unexplained-santa-anita-deaths

“The Intrigue?” How detached can you be?

10 Likes

That Axios’s thinks “why it matters” is “campaign disorder” rather than “campaign used Nazi symbolism” is a stark intance of the newsroom precept that politics is a meaningless race with no consequences for anyone but the horses.

:clap::clap::clap:

13 Likes

Seth Cotlar had a good thread earlier about the sharp uptick in Nazism by young conservatives.

It’s about a year 'til the GOP convention, which is plenty of time for the party to continue radicalizing, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see some swastika flags and Roman salutes when Trump is nominated. Also won’t be surprised when the national press tries to both-sides it.

14 Likes

I’ve just checked with all my staff, and none of them are Nazis. It took like 2 minutes out of the day, simply went around the office, hands up whoever is a Nazi… no hands…

Ron, wasn’t too hard… you can do this too!

9 Likes

The fascist doth protest too much methinks.

3 Likes

My take is that he was fired because he posted it AND he made it. Come on, dude, no plausible deniability there. We can’t go full Nazi until the convention!

7 Likes

The amount of full on Neo nazis going mask off in the Republican Party isn’t talked enough about.

Literal. Fucking. Nazis.

11 Likes

What I’ve been reading is that before he posted the video, other campaign staff (including a lawyer) saw it and approved it. If true, the take that it’s all about “campaign disorder” is really grotesque, and just accepting their response “[he] is no longer with the campaign” is negligence (especially given that a lot of people are no longer with the campaign these days, for reasons unrelated to their being nazis).

10 Likes

nice headline

5 Likes

It looks like the DeSantis campaign is not okay with blatant Nazi iconography. But they were okay with hiring a Nazi as a speechwriter. He may not have been wandering around the office saying Heil Hitler and wearing an Alter Kämpfer pin, but I have to believe that there were sufficient signs of his views before this.

9 Likes

Um, no. Not as such. The DeSantis campaign reduced headcount due to sparse funds and accidentally fired a loyal Nazi in the process.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.