Ron DeSantis further crumbles as he (again) slashes his campaign staff, losing one-third

Originally published at: Ron DeSantis further crumbles as he (again) slashes his campaign staff, losing one-third | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Great to see it but I hope someone out there eventually gives Trump a real fight for the nomination so he doesn’t still have his entire campaign warchest to spend when it comes to the general election.

22 Likes

I guess he’s not fiscally conservative.

20 Likes

Manchin, Youngkin and Hogan waiting in the wings…

8 Likes

For what? Their turn to embarrass themselves? The three of them together don’t have the charisma of a wet drink napkin.

12 Likes

It’s also fun to note that one of the fired staffers is the memelord who made the pro-DeSantis/pro-Nazi videos.

13 Likes

Yes. It’s like they have a humiliation kink.

10 Likes

I wonder what percentage of the “slash” is made up of exasperated staff members turning in their notices. According to reports, DeSantis is a horrible person to work for.

(excerpt) “In his first term,” as governor, “he fired staffers with enough regularity that some formed an emotional support group, according to a 2021 Politico report.

BTW: Driving angry? :wink:

12 Likes

Because like every business consultant knows you can drastically cut staff to achieve success. /s

13 Likes

Maybe with these other firings, he won’t have any more overt Nazi imagery in his campaign.

Then again…

10 Likes

It’s not like this money would be used to undermine Trump (the only possible good use for it), so it’s just as well the funds are low - he’d just use it to normalize fascism as much as possible. It’d be nice if this happened to Trump as well.

I’m finding it interesting that DeSantis isn’t capturing more of Trump’s base. He’s got the cruelty, the fascism - all the stuff Turnip’s base love - but he’s not drawing so many of them off. It would obviously be different if Trump weren’t in the running anymore, but it does seem like Trump’s formula doesn’t transfer neatly. The fear of a “smart Trump” being more successful than the orange one maybe is slightly overblown - Turnip’s idiocy may quite possibly be part of his appeal. Certainly it’s one (or more) of the things that seem like they should be weaknesses (his incoherent speech, his ignorance, his stupidity, his clown-like appearance, his faux-celebrity and desperate attempts to be a star-f*cker, the sexual assaults…)

Wait, WTF?

What looked like a video attacking DeSantis for being a fascist was actually made by a DeSantis staffer in order to what, “ironically” call him a neo-Nazi… so he’d gain the support of (totally unironic) fascists?

10 Likes

I don’t think there was any irony there. I think it was praise.

12 Likes

4 Likes

If Manchin runs it looks like it will be under the No Labels party. I’d hope that would finally get him kicked out of the Dem party but the DNC establishment doesn’t have the backbone for that.

9 Likes

Manchin’s primary use for the party is getting judges approved. He’ll vote in favor of every judge Biden nominates, and with a razor-thin majority in the Senate, that’s not un-important.

Having said that, when he gets kicked out at his next election, I hope he doesn’t live very long to enjoy retirement.

8 Likes

Given the current state of the federal judiciary, not to mention the climate emergency, it’s hard to see all the concessions given to the coal baron DINO having been worth it.

9 Likes

DeSantis has zero charisma, no ability to act like a normal human, and he openly despises almost everyone he meets. He’s the Uncanny Valley made flesh, and that makes him a bad politician.

8 Likes

The alternative is not getting any liberal judges passed. Trump stuffed the judiciary with gibbering loons, and letting seats go unfilled to spite Manchin doesn’t do anything but let Trump II fill them with more loons later. As long as Manchin’s reliable on judicial nominations, that’s an advantage.

No, it’s obviously not a perfect solution, but it’s the hand we’ve been dealt. And Republicans will get Manchin’s seat in the next election, so the goal needs to be getting more Democrats into the Senate so Sinema doesn’t become the next tiebreaker.

10 Likes

Er, yeah. The original video was a pro DeSantis video. There was speculation at first that a staffer just posted a video made by someone else, then deleted it, but it turns out they made it.

And they aren’t just some nobody, they write for other conservative media and are involved in other conservative groups. I imagine some old heads are still under the impression that they just want to lower taxes, keep immigrants out, outlaw abortion, and own the libs. But the young up and comers are more fascist and full of actual Nazis.

It will be a cancer that either will over take the Republican party, or take a decade to cut out. I personally think the former is happening.

6 Likes

But on the other hand… Trump. From my perspective, Trump seems to have negative charisma, no ability to act like a normal human being on multiple levels, and pretty clearly despises his base (though he engages in hypocritical shows of “loving” them), plus he’s incompetent, incoherent, obviously ignorant of basic facts, looks like a clown, etc.

I guess I’m so blind to Trump’s “charms” that I can’t see where DeSantis falls down in his supporters’ eyes.

6 Likes