Ron DeSantis pretends he's a dogfighting military pilot in the most cringeworthy ad (video)

3 Likes

Ok, point taken. Maybe…

But on balance I don’t consider him any less a commoner than me.

A Turkish ex-journalist politico (does it run in the family?) and a Bavarian family, one of whose recent ancestors was raised from commoner ancestors (tailor, pastor, mayor) to a title in return for diplomatic service as recently as the 19thC (much the same as John Prescott now being called Baron cos he was shoved into the House of Lords does not make him upper class), and another of whom is “said to be” an illegitimate daughter of minor regional ‘royalty’ is barely much of a case for much thoroughbred upper class blue blood coarsing through his veins.
Another, born Arnous-Rivière, was a chess player who ‘awarded’ himself the nobiliary particle ‘de’ to make his name Arnous de Rivière - just the sort of narcissistic act one would expect of someone in Boris’s family.

Sorry - he (and others) may think that Eton and Oxford makes one ‘upper class’ but it’s just financial privilege. The closest Boris can claim to being an aristocrat is as the punchline to a classic joke. He has no class at all, certainly not upper class.

If financial privilege is part of the definition of upper class, fair enough. I prefer to maintain that the man has no nobility whatsoever. :wink:

1 Like

That’s certainly true.

To be fair to the other Pfeffels, their claim to “nobility” goes back to 1598 or thereabouts.

I mean, sure, one can make jibes about them all being a bunch of foreigners but so are they all.

I think my point, in so far as I have one, is that all of this is bollocks. None of them are any more or less “common” than any of us. Some people can trace their ancestry back to long ago thugs with pointy sticks. That’s all.

1 Like

In Britain, predominantly French (Norman) thugs. I doubt many of today’s ‘aristos’ can trace ancestry back to Anglo-Saxon (or Celtic) forbears.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.