Ron DeSantis tumbles to 5th place in latest New Hampshire poll

Originally published at: Ron DeSantis tumbles to 5th place in latest New Hampshire poll | Boing Boing

6 Likes

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

14 Likes

DeSantis was always evil but he used to be a reasonably clever (or at least competent) political strategist—one pretty much has to win such a high public office while lacking the people skills to build a following on charisma alone. But he can’t exactly win on the national level when his previous victories were all based on an understanding of what Floridians think they want, because very few people outside of Florida want their states to be more like Florida.

11 Likes

Pittsburgh What GIF by Mike Hitt

6 Likes

On top of spagetti all covered with cheese
I lost my poor meatball when somebody sneezed

It rolled off the table, it rolled on the floor
And then my poor meatball rolled out of the door

7 Likes

He beat six Republican primary candidates (and the Democratic nominee) to win his seat in the House of Representatives and spun that into a successful run for governor by age 40, all while being deeply personally unlikeable. So, a reasonably competent political strategist (until he wasn’t).

9 Likes

Winona Ryder Movie GIF by filmeditor

could just be luck and money, and the right amount of right wing talking points?

8 Likes

This is my surprised face:

:laughing:

7 Likes

And going up against a field of really, really lousy opponents (not that it necessarily applies to DeSantis).

2 Likes

“Rupert Murdoch, the Fox News owner, originally believed Trump would lose to DeSantis in Iowa because “it was going to come out about the abortions Trump had paid for”. Iowa polling, however, returns consistent Trump leads.”
Murdoch doesn’t understand yet that Dolt45 isn’t a politician, he’s a cult leader. Cultists will follow their leader to their deaths.

9 Likes

I don’t agree, back in April Ron was a solid second place, no one else was close. The Republican voters at one point loved him.

Then trump is indicted and balloons in first place and Ron tumbles.

I think you are giving voters too much credit for independent thought. If the .1% want Ron as president then the voters would be reflecting that.

1 Like

Imagine losing to Nikki Haley, of all people. She waffles harder than a hotel breakfast bar and probably wouldn’t be able to be picked out in a lineup.

2 Likes

Weirdly Trump might become president again. It’s hard to wrap my head around that.

2 Likes

Weird and frightening. Someone has to be elected president, though, and it’s basically a two horse race with the chance of one or two independents to syphon off some crucial votes from left or right.

Trump is leading the GOP pack by a country mile. He will be the candidate unless he has a stroke or gets imprisoned (perhaps even then!?)

1 Like

… remember, kids, the prize for first place is losing to Biden, and the prize for second place is nothing :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Isn’t that what political strategy is?

2 Likes

Seems to me (at least here in the states) it involves various kinds of messaging to particular communities based on whatever the polling says, as well as fund raising, giving targeted speeches, shaking hands, kissing babies, etc… I don’t know about in Europe, but here is there is a whole profession based around getting people elected to public office… :woman_shrugging: Is it mostly bullshit? Probably, but I think they see it more than luck, money, and talking points, though… Perhaps these political strategists are puffing themselves up too much?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.