Ronald Reagan was Donald Trump, until he was president

I disagree. He surrounded himself with evil people alright, but they weren’t smart.

Attorney General Edwin Meese for example, explaining why the Supreme Court’s Miranda decision (holding that subjects have a right to remain silent and have a lawyer present during questioning) is unnecessary: “You don’t have many suspects who are innocent of a crime. That’s contradictory. If a person is innocent of a crime, then he is not a suspect.”

This is the same guy who explained that no children in America are going hungry; people were going to soup kitchens because the food is free. He ultimately resigned after a series of scandals where he abused his power on a world-wide level for his own personal enrichment.

Watch Charlie Wilson’s War, about American involvement in the Afghan-Soviet war. Watch the ending where Gust Avrakotos thanks Wilson for supporting the fight.

Now realize that in real life, long before the end of the war Avrakotos had been banished to a do-nothing job. This because in his typically blunt fashion he described Oliver North and friends as a “lunatic fringe” and warned that their Iran arms-for-hostages deal - the proceeds going to terrorists in Central America - was illegal and wouldn’t remain secret and unprosecuted. He was right on all counts.

Pre-internet and 30 years ago, high-level incompetent corruption was easier to get away with. When caught, “We’re doing it for America!” was more easily believed.

11 Likes

Fair enough. I said “direction” mostly to allude to the literal sense of “working under a director as an actor.”

2 Likes

Once elected? How much are they offering him? Of course he will.

Something about your post made me flash on an image of the White House with a 20’-high reflective Trump sign, similar to Trump Tower in Chicago. Excuse me, I need to go rinse my brain out with lye…

4 Likes

A seed implanted many years ago…

9 Likes

Now I need to wash YOUR brain out with lye!

3 Likes

The irony there is that Alt-Biff was directly inspired by the Small-Fingered Vulgarian back in the 80s, according to the Back To The Future creators. So that particular bit of commentary has been around for literally decades. (pity that the GOP hasn’t learned from it)

4 Likes

This is something that’s been kind of kicking around in my brain for a few days. Trump is the 80’s coming back for one last stomp through the land. (I suppose that could make Clinton the 90’s, but she feels a bit more like the late 80’s to me, so maybe they’re both part of this Decade That Will Not Die.) Maybe that’s what this fool means by “Make America great again” … make it like the 80’s again? I remember that decade, although I was pretty young, and I really don’t want to go back to it. We barely survived the first time - hell, we’re still paying for a lot of it, literally and figuratively.

I’m not sure what decade, if any, Sanders would embody. I’m wiling to find out, however.

1 Like

At least we got some good music out of the 80s?

6 Likes

Oh, absolutely, but we also got great music from, say, the 1930’s, but I don’t want to live through that decade either! (At least it would be the first time.)

4 Likes

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed (and doom us all) to repeat it :frowning:

2 Likes

Fair enough on that point!

Nobody learns from history, it just helps the rest of us know what others are inevitably going to do to us.

2 Likes

“Those who would repeat the past must control the teaching of history.”

• Frank Herbert, Dune
8 Likes

I love it, thank you!

1 Like

Isn’t that the motto of the Texas State Board of Education?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.