Ronald Reagan was Donald Trump, until he was president

Yeah, but Reagan HAD to make that deal or Carter would have won reelection. (The hostages were released 20 minutes after Reagan’s inaugural address.)

Just ask Nixon. He sabotaged the Vietnam war peace talks in 1968, fearing that a settlement at the Paris Peace would derail his campaign. Sure, another five years of war cost 22,000 American lives, but had he not done so the Democrats would have won the election. Priorities!

11 Likes

Well, sure. He demonized Carter for not getting rid of the deficit Carter inherited. But as governor, Reagan was the biggest California spender of the last half century. Under him, state spending leaped 177%. No-one should have been surprised when he did the same as President.

8 Likes

That comparison just gave every Republican, (penishaver and not) a priapism.

I recently had it explained to me at length how that hostage release showed that Trump’s idea of diplomacy would be SO much better than Obama or Clinton’s. I couldn’t remember the details of the original incident, but my bullshit meter pegged.

It didn’t help that the example of Trump’s diplomacy skills immediately preceding that had been the 5-year-old “he started it” incident.

3 Likes

When they write the history books, all this is scrubbed out. What does reality matter?

2 Likes

Not all history books! :wink: Some of us are trying to bring the truth to light and fight the good fight, I promise!

10 Likes

Let me clarify, when Texas determines the texts…

3 Likes

Sure, but that assumes that the only historical narrative are those determined in schools (and as such, by Texas book adoption) and that no alternatives actual exist. I think to undermine that narrative we first need to understand that different, competing narratives exist and teachers can bring them into the class room in various ways, even if they are forced to teach those books.

2 Likes

There IS a mayor difference between Reagan and Drumpf. Reagan was a horrible president, he was incompetent and uneducated and should never have been elected in the first place.
But I think Reagan actually believed in what he did, he did probably think that what he did was the best for most of the people in the US.
Drumpf doesn´t believe in anything exept Drumpf.
He is a complete monster, a pathologically lying, egocentric sociapath, for who this whole presidency stick is nothing but a bloody publicity stunt to keep himself in the press. He won´t give a sh*t if the US and the rest of the world burns to the ground, as long as he is well off.
Interesting times are ahead of us.

1 Like

He also has a good one that’s always relevant to Black Pride, reverse racism, white priviliege and… well actually it’s a pretty effective tool for all your racist troll elemination needs.

Watch Hillary speaking in front of a rural or a black audience.

2 Likes

What a relief then that we have the opportunity to vote for Hillary Clinton, who has never strayed from the path of doing the right thing for the American people, even though she could have made oodles of money by selling them out.

Killer Mike is an ATL hero!

3 Likes

I don’t see how that’s altogether different from Reagan. He believed some things but his actions and his “beliefs” did not match that of a sincere individual.

1 Like

He has ideas?!?!?

2 Likes

Kind of like how we saw George Bush really: fucking thick as shit.

It wasn’t just you all across the great salt wall who thought he was a beacon of his class. A beacon of anti-light. Endarkenment, if you will. A perfect representation of what our elites had become. Now we have The Rump.

5 Likes

You may not see Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders as rage-inducing candidates, but I assure you they are.

Fuck those motherfuckers fearful rage. They should take their tongue out if their boss’s ass.

I grew up rural, and it was the asslicking we were all expected to sign up for that drove me to suburbia. It wasn’t much better in subbubblia, but the city is fine. Many fewer cowardly dipshits when it comes to the workplace, and the cowardly behavior that’s left is relatively harmless. As ever, it’s the people who can control their fear who are the most interesting and most dangerous.

Yeah, fuck it, any public figure going for folksiness makes me puke.

1 Like

You missed one of my favourite Reagan quotes;

“If an individual wants to discriminate against Negroes or others in selling or renting his house, it is his right to do so.” Ronald Reagan, 1966

Trump’s Daddy and Reagan have never been seen together in the same place. just sayin.

13 Likes

While i wouldn’t characterize Reagan as someone who “took direction” I do think he had enough sense to surround himself with smart (evil) people, and give them the license to get things done, while still setting the overall course and, perhaps most importantly, mostly preventing those smart (evil) people from tearing each other apart. He may have been a figurehead for the Republican apparatus, but he managed it relatively well.

Trump on the other hand, does seem less likely to surround himself with smart people, and smart people seem less likely to want to be around him. He won’t allow the Republican apparatus to take over. And I think it unlikely that he’ll keep the individual motivations of his cabinet in check, and that they’ll be much more likely to cause more harm as a result.

1 Like