Round or Flat? MAGAs don't know what shape the planet is

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/13/round-or-flat-magas-dont-know-what-shape-the-planet-is.html

5 Likes

The murky depths of their conspira-sea hide evils but also reveal truths. Alien abductions, killer bees, and evil clowns are not far behind.

At at the end of every red string on their network of interconnected conspiracies, it’s those nasty ol’ Elders of Zion. Every damn time.

Related article:

18 Likes

Err, isn’t the evil clown in charge of the party?

28 Likes

Ha! Jokes on them…Earth is actually an oblate spheroid!

29 Likes

48 Likes

MAGAs do love to buy tee-shirts and other logo wear. It’d be awesome to find a way to subvert that and start donating a ton of money to causes they hate with tee-shirts they wear.

Recently my mom has been getting mailers offering to sell her assorted Trump stuff. A teddy bear with a Trump shirt was the latest one. She’s pretty anti Trump so either it’s blind mailing (likely) or targeted to annoy/attempt to convince (unlikely). She asked me yesterday why he (Trump) was doing this and I told her it’s not him, usually. It’s the people making cash off these cultists. She felt it was wrong. I agreed, but America is like Pratchett’s Ankh-Morpork more often than most people would be comfy, and Ankh-Morpork will always have a CMOT Dibbler-esque person roll up to sell marshmallows on a handy stick at a book burning.

It is more than a little scary just how much they like to drape themselves in his stuff.

20 Likes

How do you penetrate this level of stupid/gullible? Seriously - is it even possible?

19 Likes

They’re write-offs. This should be obvious with this flat-Earth lunacy, but isn’t to the corporate media and “centrist” politicians who are concerned that calling them stupid and gullible and ignorant would be “uncivil”.

15 Likes

These maroons don’t know where the Sun goes at night, just like the ancient authors of their favorite book (which they’ve never read).

14 Likes

I labor under the impression that the 99% of the anti-conspiracy theorists are also magats. I know we only see the interviews that the interviewer wants us to see… meaning the ones that will make their point. I do wonder what percentage of magats believe in a flat earth. Also if there are any Biden supporters who believe in a flat earth.

7 Likes

Until they get elected to Congress.

10 Likes

Yes, man-in-the street interviews are always cherry-picked for the most amusing or weird respondents. And yes, there are conspiracy nuts across the ideological spectrum. However, you’re more likely to find these lunatics at a MAGA rally than at a Biden event (see also: racists at gun shows).

13 Likes

I am curious for some hard numbers though or an accurate Venn diagram.

7 Likes

Create a non-profit organization that donates its proceeds to your group of choice. Use ChatGPT to give the non-profit a suitably nonsense MAGA name. Use ChatGPT to create a list of far-right images and imagery, then use some AI image generator to create those images. Use a T-shirt on demand company like CafePress or TeePublic, and then spamjaculate your shop on Facebook.

Profit! (For a good cause).

7 Likes

Here’s one study that shows it’s difficult to nail down, not the least because some conspiracy theories (e.g. Republicans cheat and game the election system, or Biff’s connections with Putin, or Iran-Contra) have a basis in fact.

The difference with MAGA is that, like most fascist movements, conspiracism about shadowy “elites” hiding the “truth” is an integral part of its ideology.

10 Likes

I’m morbidly curious what the Flat MAGAs say when you ask them where the edge of the world is. [If they said “in the middle of the ocean” another follow-up could be “Could Sarah Palin see the edge of the world that’s in the Pacific Ocean from her house?”]

14 Likes

This was a plot point in the book Mount Chicago.

3 Likes

until they sneak onto local school boards.

8 Likes

Both with the collusion of the Republican Party and the conservative wingnut welfare machine. None of this is happening organically.

But in terms of the question of convincing them that their views are not based in reality, they’re write-offs whether they’re randos at a rally or EmptyG.

12 Likes

It’s an oblate spheroid. If they don’t understand - much the same geometry as their candidate, only not orange.

7 Likes