Round or Flat? MAGAs don't know what shape the planet is

i asked a flat-earther to explain why the planets we can see in the sky look round and rotate.

didn’t go well.

10 Likes

it is impossible to reason with unreasonable people. they’re gone until they hopefully figure things out.

5 Likes

Sure they do! It’s there, circling above the flat plane still, but you can’t see it because of perspective. They proved it with a shaky misuse of a Nikon P1000 aimed at a sunset once, so QED.

6 Likes

Belief is flexible, but irrefutable. The world is flat until it’s somehow shown not to be, either because it’s personally convenient to have it round, or there’s some irrefutable evidence, or whatever - but then it’s flat again when those factors aren’t around. “Well, whatever, I still believe it’s flat.”

It’s like belief in a fixed date for the Rapture. It’s for sure going to happen until it doesn’t, then the date changes. The world is flat until it isn’t, then it’s back to flat.

11 Likes

The flat Earth consensus is that it’s Antarctica - it’s not a continent, but a giant wall, beyond which is nothing. There’s a whole set of conspiracy theories around that, too (that you can’t go to Antarctica without being stopped by warships, etc.) Of course, if Antarctica is the rim of the Earth, that means the Southern Hemisphere, where in reality lines are converging, everything would be incredibly far apart, which would be easily noticed by anyone living or traveling there. Of course, the flat Earth model has so many problems and inconsistencies, that particular problem never seems to occur to them. (Also, for flat Earthers, it’s not about having an internally consistent model of the world that can explain things, it’s just about tearing apart the consensus model of reality.)

12 Likes
4 Likes

Heretic!

How dare you talk about heliocentricism! The Flat Earth is the centre of the solar system and the Universe.

9 Likes

Whats the flat earth consensus on vehicles being more efficient south of the Equator? How many more km to the litre can an old Holden do?

8 Likes

“…and that, my Lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.”

10 Likes

This is very true. If geologists and astrophysicists around the world said, 'Okay, you got us, it’s flat," and especially if liberals were like, “Oh yeah, let’s update the maps and throw out the globes and teach our kids about the flat earth,” I guarantee every single flat earther would rage out about how the world is actually a globe, and it’s been known since antiquity. Probably throw in some random Bible quotes too, because of course, but yeah. This would happen.

10 Likes

The irony being that medieval bananas were entirely round, like oranges.

12 Likes

“Firmament”

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means…

5 Likes

I’d argue that the ones like that - logical, internally consistent and with a basis in fact even if there’s not enough evidence to definitively prove them - aren’t conspiracy theories.
They are theories about conspiracies, but not in the way most people think of “conspiracy theories.” If you get what I’m saying.
We really need a term to separate them out from the baseless, racist nuttery.

7 Likes

If I was in America I would get a load of MAGA hats printed and sell them at MAGA rallies and keep the money for myself.

It’s only what Trump is doing, after all.

3 Likes

I would be richer than Trump claims to be if I did all the amoral shit I refuse to even consider doing, which just goes to show how bad Trump actually is at business.

10 Likes

… powerful people doing crimes together really don’t want the media or the public talking about how powerful people do crimes together

Better if the whole subject is taboo, and anybody who talks about it is a clown :clown_face:

5 Likes

I’ve been using the terms “conspiracism” and “conspiracist” when discussing Qnuts or flat-Earthers or the like. They put the focus on the broken mindset instead of the bizarre claims that emerge from it.

7 Likes

No, no, no… Sell pre-orders of the hats, with a guaranteed - I dunno, Bible verse or signature or NFT or something - and then keep the money and never deliver. Pre-orders are just that, the delivery date can just keep being rolled into the future. Supply-chain issues, after all!

That’s what Trump is doing.

9 Likes

or, dare I say, coconuts.

4 Likes

Well, Trump managed to do it.

2 Likes