Roundup of newspapers that illustrated Hillary Clinton's nomination with pictures of her husband

I was a newspaper reporter and editor for years. We are careful about how photographs and copy recast one another, and the fact that they don’t always match in a literal sense doesn’t mean that they are not meaningful. It’s a matter of editorial judgment, and one approached consciously, not least because of the liabilities involved.

20 Likes

Kuroko wouldn’t stand for Misaka being treated this way. She’d teleport into every last newstand and tape photos from her hidden cameras over the header featuring Touma. And make Uiharu-san help.

1 Like

And yet the headlines and stories are about her nomination, not his (or her) presence.

This is what I’m talking about. There’s always an excuse!

21 Likes

Then you are saying that your criticism is in the editorial judgment used at these newspapers then.

I feel like there is a mixed message here. I felt the point being driven home was “See how misogynistic these papers are because they put the picture of the man and it should be of the woman”. And I really do not think that was the case in this instance.

If you merely feel that you would have chosen a different cover photo, then sure…its a fair criticism.

2 Likes

We call them file photos, but in this case, one wasn’t required.

The WSJ, for all its faults, remains one of the only serious newspapers in America. It set out to get an appropriate shot, then used it.

23 Likes

Even if due to the timing of her video appearance––the photo that WSJ uses in their late edition–was too late for print, are we really supposed to believe that it’s not feasible for the editors to include her secretary of state portrait as a thumbnail around the article’s text? Is “There are no solutions, we could not depict her on the front page next to the first article talking about her being the first major party woman presidential candidate nominee” really the truth?

5 Likes

I actually have no clue about what that was from. I just needed a head>table image awhile ago and that one was great for it. It has been much more useful than I thought it would be.

1 Like

It’s from my favorite anime––A Certain Scientific Railgun––so I can’t complain about you using it, even if you haven’t seen it :3

2 Likes

I will look it up then just because.

1 Like

Huh, I have to admit, that is a pretty good reason. One would typically show a current photo at the event, not an old photo from a different event. I see one example of a photo of her on a screen, what were some of the other solutions?

I was curious how someplace like the Huffington Post addressed it. Well the first article is Trump/Putin. Then it says “History Boy: Bill Nails Landmark ‘First Gent’ Audition”. The don’t even have an official “Hillary Gets the Nomination” article as far as I can see. Evidently Bills speech was the highlight of that day, which is probably why they used that pic.

That was the pic they used. I will preempt any criticism by saying it is probably not a Nazi salute. Probably.

7 Likes

Wait. That could be the story, right there. If she wasn’t at the convention, DURING the roll call, then where the hell was she? What could have been more pressing? Asking for a friend.

1 Like

She made a pretty dramatic appearance via video at the end of the night, to the sound of shattering glass.

2 Likes

thank you. Wasn’t sure if she was every really on stage or not. They did randomly show her backstage or something here and there.

On the other hand…seems this Clinton guy makes a habit of photo bombing nominations…

5 Likes

like toilet paper, but preprinted. you don’t have to use it before it provides fascinating insights.

1 Like

I’ll give the washington times a partial pass since that photo is of Berine Sanders calling for her to be nominated by general acclaim. Not what I would have chosen, but it is literally the picture of her being nominated. Furthermore, his support for her is one of the big stories of the convention, and is actual news, while the nomination itself is not. Of course, they could have used that next to a photo of the nominee.

5 Likes

More or less.

Access to firearms is restricted?

3 Likes

critical != upset

Repeat that to yourself three times every time you open a web browser.

criticism != controversy

Repeat that to yourself three times every time you open a web browser.

My impression was that @beschizza was criticizing the editorial judgment used at these newspapers because they betrayed unconscious sexism. So there’s no mixed message. You understand perfectly, but apparently either don’t believe there’s such a thing as unconscious sexism, or don’t believe it should be criticized.

20 Likes

“Roundup of newspapers that illustrated Hillary Clinton’s nomination with pictures of her husband”

I count…hmm, let me see…five newspapers in this “roundup”

1 Like

So what’s the reason she wasn’t actually at the convention?