Roundup of newspapers that illustrated Hillary Clinton's nomination with pictures of her husband

In these post-smoke-filled-back-room convention days, where the nominee is known before the convention ever starts, there’s a tradition that the nom doesn’t make an appearance until the final day. We haven’t had a brokered convention in many decades. Trump, being both ignorant of politics in general, and a raging narcissist, never missed an opportunity to get on camera.

2 Likes

Criticism would have had something to back it up with, for example, front pages from other conventions in the past where the paper printed pictures of the nominee (who was not present), rather than, say, a former President, who was present. Good luck with that. It was just an attempt to stir up controversy.

I have to disagree. First, in my opinion, some that are leading the charge (and these were all found on the kinda expensive but, sigh, enjoyable Newseum website/museum):

Image conveys what happened historically (first woman nominated for POTUS) as well as locally (her post-Billy appearance in Philly).

Same, but classier, she’s on FIYA!!

Aww, Chicago! :heart: :heart_exclamation:

No mention of tacos or walls, rapists, etc…

See what I’m sayin? I’m an alien, I done just landed and what is this floppy material with an image…huh, humans celebrating somewhere about something momentus…well, I’ll eat them all the same

And then we get some from the not-so-good pile:

Yah yah blah it’s a baby blah, but a cutout of her face? “…wins [such a] historic nomination [that we can’t even put an honest-to-goodness shot of her real face in this tiny image…”

Sorry to possibly copy one of Rob’s from above, but the person winning this historic appointment is arguably relegated to the tiniest image on the page.

What a time to be alive.

Not only can they not name her, we get a double dose of the Bern. Stay classy.

C’mon, really?

It’s not a reason to take to the streets, but I’d prefer seeing nothing but women on the front page to mark this historic time (big shot of HRC, smaller supporting shot of FLOTUS Michelle Obama).

8 Likes

An opinion not universally shared. People stand up and wear stupid costumes and talk about their particular state’s famous daughters and sons and the drinks they make and so on because that’s the moment they’re being heard, their votes are tallied and accepted. Besides, much of this stuff is exactly “silly bit[s] of theater” to excite the base supporters etc etc.

Beyond that, I’m perfectly okay with the newspapers making a huge deal out of this particular bit of American history.

JFC, already.

6 Likes

I don’t know where all this pushback is coming from. It’s about HER nomination. The papers should not have run a photo of Bill Clinton. Period.

They should have run one of Mrs. Bill Clinton.

:smiley:

That’s one. And it’s pretty much is a perfect demonstration of why most papers featured Bill, instead of a what’s basically a screen-grab. It’s a picture of a picture.

To borrow from Starfire’s linguistic quirks (from Teen Titans Go): the face on the palm.

The headlines reference Hillary. The picture put up is intentionally confusing to the point where it seems intentional move for a paper that’s not fond of her.

Alternatively, it could be deliberate misdirection. People like Bill a lot better. Solution? Put Bill’s face up there as much as possible. Make them think Bill when they vote Hillary.

Just fuckin chill?

1 Like

4 Likes

The first 24 episodes (are there more?) at least are on the youtube funimation channel. A bit formulaic but silly enough to keep my attention.

Have newspapers always been this lame or have they gotten more like this lately? But maybe we should go easy on them even when they mess up like this because a lot of newspapers have folded and many more are on the brink of bankruptcy and a lot of journalists will be out of work if we aren’t nice to the newspapers. Then, where will all the journalism majors find work? Using the wrong picture like this is wrong. Should we help support the newspapers maybe by having Uncle Sam buy newspapers for people who can’t afford them just like food stamps, only instead of food, it’s newspapers. Newspaper stamps! That could save some reporters jobs so they don’t have to go work for stupid Murdoch. I can’t stand him, even though he finally did something smart and fired that Ailes guy. Broken clock and all that.

2 Likes

Oh, look! Instead of having a team of white men, they have a team of white women! So progressive!

I note that one of the covers had Sanders. I’m amazed the DNC allowed a dirty atheist Jew to be photographed.

Who are the third-party candidates, again? I can’t vote for either of these shitshows.

In the rest of your graf, you hit the nail on the head. Newspapers stopped making a profit decades ago, then started getting bought by bigger companies, then when those companies folded, they kept getting bought by a series of holdings companies. At one point years ago, my paychecks started coming late when the current holdings company, desperately seeking a new buyer, was frantically trying to get a loan to make payroll. I was pretty sure that our humble little newspaper was a tax writeoff, anyway.

A lot of local media is wire crap anyway. I’m guessing a lot of the papers that ran Bill instead of Hillary bought whatever art came with the story.

Slightly related anecdote: in 1975, when my Mum (Dawn Easton) decided to get a tubal ligation, the surgeon refused to perform the procedure unless my Dad (Tony Motbey) gave his written “permission” [1].

To his credit, Dad signed the note as “Mr Dawn Easton”.

[1] This was a major factor in my previously-conservative Mum’s awakening as a lefty feminist.

6 Likes

That’s definitely a good one, but I wish they had gotten the woman running up the aisle with the sledgehammer in the shot…

4 Likes

Can you cite your evidence for this conclusion? It would seem to require you to be able to read the author’s mind, which I don’t think is actually possible. But I’ll keep an open mind. :wink:

1 Like

In that particular use, “Jeeeeeeebus Fucken Christ”. Similarly:

2 Likes

Are you really unable to recognize the expression of an opinion?

Maybe tells more about the age of the journalists in some cases? Many of us were around to remember ALL of the good and BAD things that happened under “Slick Willy” Clinton. Terrible trade agreements, involvement in foreign wars and misguided air campaigns, affairs, Waco/Ruby Ridge, the first WTC bombing, etc. Yet the sheen of Charismatic Bill lives on - as reflected in those photos.