Rowling blames COVID, not her prolific transphobic statements, for falling profits

Originally published at: Rowling blames COVID, not her prolific transphobic statements, for falling profits | Boing Boing

6 Likes

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

19 Likes

7 Likes

I mean even ignoring her transphobic statements, the Harry Potter sequel movies just aren’t good. They’re convoluted, the stories are all over the place, messy, and forced, and people are just tired of it. I’m not saying that it’s not her transphobic statements, but when both the product AND the salesperson are bad, yeah, sales will go down.

10 Likes

Aw, so she’ll have to let a few servants go? Maybe the foot masseuse and the arsewiper?

No, never the arsewiper!

10 Likes

GO FASH, NO CASH!

So it shall be.

16 Likes

I feel it is a shame, as I actually liked Newt Scamander, as played by Eddie Redmayne. He’d got a different sort of masculinity than we normally get to see in blockbusters movies. It is a shame that it had to be in those terrible films.

10 Likes

Yeah, Redmayne was really good as Newt. And the first one, Fantastic Beasts, was just fine IMO. Crimes of Grindelwald was just all-around bad, and I didn’t have the interest to see Dumbledore’s Secrets at all.

4 Likes

Isn’t that a shop round the back of Diagon Alley?

5 Likes

And also there’s the series Cornoran Strike series she has under a pen name of a anti-LGBT bigot. For those who likes the stuff, maybe can click (I confess read the first three and though pretty enjoyable) but go for seven books? I don’t think she can do enough, unless she goes full bigot and put some minority villain…

… Oh, wait, she already did!

4 Likes

Simpler than that surely. This is as far as I can see the actual theatre. Harry Potter and the cursed child. Not cinema.
Came out in 2016. Them as were desperate to see it have done so. It’s not become an institution of the West End like Cats or The Mousetrap.
2020 all the theatres were closed because COVID. In 2021 they did better business because people hadn’t been able to go the year before. Now it’s occupying that steady decline that all seven year old productions see.

6 Likes

Didn’t saw Crimes of Grindelwald… I think the idea of Newt as a Cryptobiologist-turned-secret agent is fishy at least.

3 Likes

Welcome to book 5, Troubled Blood

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s just a coincidence. The guy in question was known as Robert Heath, or at most Robert G. Heath, and he wasn’t and isn’t well known enough for someone like Rowling to use as a secret signal or something.

None of that makes the books any better, of course. The first two books that I read were mediocre thrillers, and by now they are apparently derailed as vehicles for Rowling’s persecution fantasies, bigotry and petty ranting. Too bad, “Cormoran Strike” is too cool a name to be wasted on her writing.

2 Likes

I’ll save my cheering for when she dies. I’d buy a ticket for that.

7 Likes

All of the heart in that series was concentrated in the first movie. The sequel just ripped out all of the wonder.

Jacob was also a great character in that he was incredibly charismatic, not in an excess of charm, but in being very genuine and personable. People like him because he liked them. The bit at the end where you’re waiting to see how the rain worked is genuinely suspenseful strictly because you build real sympathy for him.

The sequel was all action and really stomped on all of the warm human moments that pulled off in the first movie.

Also, the interrogation scene is well-acted. A great scene for demonstrating levels of trust between characters, because it just starts feeling off.

All-in-all, it just feels like as she’s gotten more unhinged, she’s lost the plot as to what people actually loved in her work.

3 Likes

Terrible when a fantasy writer can’t accept reality.

4 Likes

To be perfectly honest I’m finding it impossible to give even the slightest fuck about her self-inflicted troubles.

13 Likes

I always had the feeling that people were reading more into her work than she actually wrote, as I never liked the books, or even most of the movies. The one exception being the third, Alfonso Karen (Cuarón, Apple, stop autocorrecting me!) took it and made his own coming of age allegory out of the bits and bobs.

But really, I never enjoyed her writing. She just isn’t nearly in the same league as Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, or even Tom Holt. And I don’t even really like Tom Holt.

4 Likes

She should invest heavily into twitter to recoup her losses.

3 Likes