Russia criminal investigation expands to include senior WH official close to Trump: WaPo

“I cannot take your money.”

“Republican, eh? You don’t seem like the type.”

“You do not understand. I cannot accept payment to cast a spell to accomplish which Mother Nature has already done.”

11 Likes

Sweet.

/9chars

3 Likes

And to think, that “senior WH official” is more than likely on a plane…with Trump…for the next 14? hours. If I were on that plane I’d be in duck and cover mode.

2 Likes

Graham said, and I quote, “…it seems to me now that it is considered…” That’s a statement of his personal belief. He did NOT say “It is.” I’ll wait to hear a more definitive statement from someone actually in the investigating organization.

The person who wrote the original article is a woman. The word “lady” is a form of address specifically used with women. You’re trying to say it is sexist to address a woman using a term that is specifically meant for addressing a woman. Your comment is about as logical as saying it is sexist to use the word “mare” when referring to a female horse.

The way you used it is exceedingly condescending and sexist. You were using it to directly talk down to the author as a woman. It’s not about the word itself and entirely about how you used it.

28 Likes

Looks like it’s going to get a bit harder for Carter “Gazprom” Page to dodge the spotlight.

2 Likes

Dude, you’re being an asshole.

29 Likes

It’s the golden shower tape. At this rate, I expect it to “leak” soon… ha!

6 Likes

I’m betting $5 on Kushner to win.

2 Likes

Look, I get you wanted to mansplain something to the author but your better make damn sure you know what you’re talking about before you do.

We know of 2 investigations into the Trump Admin. concerning Russia, a counter-intelligence investigation and a criminal investigation. That fact isn’t even being disputed by the Admin. themselves.

14 Likes

Where would you like your no prize sent?

8 Likes

Let it ride.

8 Likes

Rats. I was hoping it would be Gorka.

the word itself definitely has a misogynistic history however. much like hysterical. that history and the sense of the word adds to why someone might use it – and not “ms”, for instance - in a sarcastic or demeaning manner.

women and girls have been being told to “grow up” and be a “lady” for ages. it carries a specific and narrow conception of what a woman can become and how they can act. to be a lady means, generally, to be on good behavior, quiet and demur.

so… whether the poster knew it or not they sensed that particular word could be used as a slight against a woman stepping outside of what the poster believes is xeni’s proper place in the world.

f all that.

12 Likes

We’ll take that as a concession.

6 Likes

Drill, baby, drill!

3 Likes

I know it’s mean, but I don’t care: the thought of Ivanka having to visit him in jail fills me with almost as much glee as the thought of him being there.

5 Likes

Are you serious? You posted about your issue with the world by airing it here. I can’t even comprehend how the above statement is supposed to reconcile with reality.

Secondly, let’s not pretend that gendered pronouns are somehow never used in derogatory or demeaning ways. I will accept the argument that this is a text-based medium and therefore the sort of verbal cues that would normally be present are not, and therefore confusion is possible, but that doesn’t warrant rude counter-reactions either.

I’m going to leave the discussion above from you, @M_Dub, @mewyn and others as-is and chalk it up to textual tonal ambiguousness, but let’s not derail further from the topic, please. Thanks.

25 Likes

Actually I’d argue that political correctness is 4 out of your 5 but what do I know, I’m not some neckbeard railing against “social warriors” like that’s a bad thing.

Agreed.

I’ve intentionally used both ‘lady’ and ‘dude’ to talk down to someone, especially when prefaced with the words “Look here, ____…”

15 Likes