Russia declares trade war on U.S. after Trump reluctantly signs new sanctions bill into law

I was too scared to click. Was it something like this, with an accompanying message to “Vote Putin 2020”?

2 Likes

The Russians can read the US media too.

Putin knows that Trump was powerless to stop this for now; I wouldn’t be surprised if he advised him not to attempt a futile veto [1]. No point in making it too obvious.

The Russian diplomatic retaliation is a mix of kayfabe and taking a slap at the legislature.

[1] I also wouldn’t be surprised to find out that Putin approved (or suggested) the theatrical missile attack on that Syrian airstrip a few months ago.

3 Likes

Don’t underestimated the Russian people’s capacity to endure suffering. You got nothing on them in that regard.

3 Likes

So… Redneck weekend partysupplies?

4 Likes

I know the feeling. It’s like watching an action film with an elderly relative. “Wait, is he bad?” “Who’s the other one?” “He’s bad too, right?” “Why are they fighting?”

4 Likes

They’re going to move noisy neighbors into all their Trump Tower condos- play that Noriega music all night long.

And cancel all their Mar-a-lago memberships.

2 Likes

My exMiL is Polish and has a few of them, in traditional Polish costumes. Just saying we could import them from Poland. Or probably even China. Not that nesting dolls play a huge part of the import market.

1 Like

Nixie tubes!

3 Likes

Oil is what they call fungible. If Russia doesn’t sell oil to the US, then they will sell it elsewhere. Meanwhile, the USA will buy the same amount as before from other sources, including those displaced by the Russian sales. Except for some possible increased shipping costs or differences due to distillate fractions shifting, the net cost to Russia or the USA is negligible.

The 70’s oil embargo worked because the supply was reduced. If Russia wants to try that, they will need more partners and an agreement to reduce overall supply.

3 Likes

Economical for us compared to using pipelines, especially the one planned to skirt Polish control, no.

Economical for the US selling us liquefied natural gas via ships, yes.

We officially have a President who is more interested in cooperating with Russia than cooperating with his own GOP-controlled Congress.

5 Likes

There are definitely Polish made ones, it’s like with ushanka hats - typically viewed as Russian, but some are also made in Poland, especially near the Belarus border.

I’ve just checked on Aliexpress, and you’re right. They even have unpainted blanks(4$ for a set) that are just begging to be used for some interesting political art :slight_smile:

I was thinking something more like this…

4 Likes

With this technique it could be easier than ever:

5 Likes

I’d consider it a possibility. I’m wondering though if it would make any difference. I can see a situation where Putin says ‘yeah, trump and his team came to me, asked me to hack the democratic party, asked me to time release of the information I stole in ways that made it look incriminating, and asked me to arrange hacks of voting machines in key states, to ensure he won the electoral college, even if he lost the popular vote. Here are the transcripts. Here are the recordings. Here’s a video of our secret meeting. Here’s the video trump gave me as security against his betrayal, where he pees on prostitutes in the hotel room. Now that he’s betrayed me anyway, no reason to keep it secret’. The next day, the trumpsters are up in arms about Putin as a source of fake news, and finding ways to get behind their spray-tan savior. Not sure given the level of ignorance they’ve shown that ANYTHING, including a full confession by trump, would make a difference.

2 Likes

Well, the simplest way to retaliate against Trump as far as I know would be simply to call in his loans.

Even if all the people who say that he could simply refinance now he’s POTUS are right, it’d still be very embarrassing and of course transfer a large wodge of wonga from the US to Russia.

1 Like

Even after Nixon resigned, he still had a 24% approval rating.

1 Like

Except for the frozen crab and diamonds, that’s surprisingly…comprehensive.

3 Likes

Like this:

You realize of course that this means war.
— Bugs Bunny

1 Like

To clarify this: Those sanctions aren’t only about US companies. Those sanctions - are and have been - have been written in a way to hit foreign companies with ties to the US.