Russia invades Ukraine

But look, have we tried letting Putin have what he wants? I’m sure he’s a man of his word, and once his demands are met it will mean peace in our time.

19 Likes

I found this in my facebook feed.

I think it’s Ron Paul nonsense, but the predictions are aging like old milk, and the rest is conspiratorial.

1 Like

I considered, and rejected, a Chamberlain gif. It turns out he wasn’t as bad as all that.

16 Likes
8 Likes

So . . . . What would trigger that, exactly?

13 Likes

We just don’t know yet.

as for the rest of the thread above you (I am not directing this at @chenille - I know you were kidding

I understand the fear at poking the beehive - we have really never been in a situation like this, where the major nuclear power (aside from the US) has decided to just go ahead and start taking it what wants. Never having been on this side of that sort of behavior is terrifying (We should remember this feeling going forward)

However, Putin is calling the bluff of the last 75 years. He is saying “I can do as I like because I don’t think the west will use nukes, and I think you think that I will so you are going to give me what I want”.

I don’t see what we can do but respond. How we respond is the question, and thank god I am just a guy on the internet and I don’t have to decide that. I do believe that thinking it will end here, or that it will just go away is not an answer though

8 Likes
13 Likes

I have no idea. Maybe bad manners at table? Seemingly invading a country without justification, threatening the mere existence of a nation, and bombing everything in the way to the capital seem just nuisances that people can accept.

14 Likes

Incoming nukes, i guess?

17 Likes

Electronic payments are the only way to get your bills paid in those last few minutes.

14 Likes
25 Likes

Last warning: Don’t play with us, we have guns and we know how to use them.

16 Likes

I fucking hate this timeline.

25 Likes

This sounds more like “we have guns, but we’re not gonna use them.”

14 Likes

10 Likes

Yeah… payments. What’s tricky is if lots of people don’t get paid it tends to have knock-on effects.

I was working in the foreign exchange group of what was apparently the very last big international bank able to trade forex immediately after 9/11. The measures that were taken, internationally by several governments, to keep our systems running and transactions flowing were very, very serious.

In Canada I had a front row seat for that sub-crisis in 2008 with Asset Backed Commercial Paper. When credit dried up an important source of liquidity did with it. The effects were very nearly severe as otherwise healthy businesses were unable to make payments due to previously reliable credit disappearing.

If you’re going to blow a hole in the payments system you would need to make sure everyone else is good and ready for it. I suspect that’s more the issue here.

10 Likes

Hmmm…hopefully there is not a cliff behind him, because Bugs is going over first

ETA: lol it was not showing me the whole gif, just the first second or so. Thing is that is not how that works, if you keep giving space and backing up you either end up going over a cliff or with your back up against a wall

4 Likes

People keep on insisting that dystopian sci fi is a blueprint for the future. @Mindysan33 ®

7 Likes

The fact that Russia is still a permanent member of the Security Council with veto power is going to create quite a legitimacy crisis for the UN. Permanent membership and veto power need to go. They needed to go years ago.

13 Likes

The russian diplomatic effort in this war has been consistently paranoid, I’m not sure that bringing up French Nukes will soothe Lavrov’s fears.

5 Likes