Russian Embassy in Ireland running out of heat because no one will sell them fuel

Originally published at: Russian Embassy in Ireland running out of heat because no one will sell them fuel | Boing Boing

13 Likes

absolutely-ted-cruz

15 Likes

Sorry, you’ll just have to have it couriered in under diplomatic seal and your own personal expense, assuming you actually have any valid currency left. Or, if that’s a problem, get out. Wankers.

24 Likes

Don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out!

Go Away GIF

23 Likes

Aaaaah, how’s that invisible hand feel tovarisch?

11 Likes

It will be interesting when things reach the point where Russia starts pulling its diplomatic missions entirely from Western countries like Ireland. We’ll see a lot of staff deciding not to return to Russia and seeking asylum. The choice of protecting power to host Russia’s “interests sections” in their embassies and consulates after Putin breaks off relations will also be quite the drama.

20 Likes

They might want to bundle up in some heavy sweaters and socks then.

18 Likes

Ireland to Russia… póg mo thóin

Conor Mckenna Ireland GIF by FoilArmsandHog

18 Likes

Shame if it caught on fire.

Sorry, no water nearby.

9 Likes

Worse - they’re no longer welcome at the pub!

17 Likes

In Norway Russian ship captains currently can’t be certified to travel the coast without a pilot because they have to do a test with a pilot on board but the authorities can’t find a single one who is willing to give the test.

17 Likes

I wonder. Apparently in Sweden they have a poster campaign around the embassy encouraging people to do just that, but if you’re feeling good enough about the government to be working at an embassy to begin with, it seems somewhat unlikely to me. (Though loss of material benefits by going back to sanction-soaked Russia would be a motivator.)

9 Likes

I’ll sell it to them at a knockdown price of €1 million per litre, all proceeds to the Ukrainian government.

5 Likes

Norwegian fuel companies are also refusing to refuel a mega yacht belonging to Vladimir Strzhalkovsk which is stranded in Narvik

11 Likes

I suspect that some of them will decide that staying the course beats being poisoned by Putin.

9 Likes

Could “Irishize” names; O’Shaughnevsky". That might put assassins off the trail. This (sort of) actually happened to the father of a friend of mine who deserted the Russian army after WWII. Came to Canada and told the immigration people his name, say; “Tolstoy” for example, and they said “Bolshoi?” and he said “… Sure … Bolshoi it is!”

9 Likes

I’m thinking mainly about younger staff members, whose jobs weren’t dependent on political reliability like everyone’s was is the old Soviet days. These are relatively worldly people who have the job due to expertise in languages, trade, culture, etc. As long as their family members back home aren’t threatened by Putin’s thugs (big if) quite a few of them from legations around the world may ask for asylum.

The senior diplomats, the military attaches and guards, and the spies will definitely be going back.

8 Likes

Interesting; I would have guessed the embassy would be connected to the municipal gas and electrical supply and just keep diesel heaters and generators on standby for emergencies.

9 Likes

They’re only gifting them with the nostalgia of the Siberian gulags. Are they complaining?

2 Likes

They may have both but I’m betting that the fuel was sold off to the locals a long time ago and that the profits and any subsequent budget allocations for it ended up in the ambassador’s secret bank account.

7 Likes