Russian priests must stop blessing nuclear weapons, says Russian Orthodox Church patriarch

Holy Hand Grenades are still fine, though.

11 Likes

Civic responsibilities and duties are always ignored in Russia and now they feel that blessing nukes might be sketchy, wow! Congratulations on the fun you must have, with such fairweather brilliance.

Good. Holy water and targeting circuitry do not mix well.

2 Likes

Mister President - we must not allow a BLESSING GAP!

6 Likes
7 Likes

You know… I don’t even feel like picking this apart. It’s rare enough for a religious figurehead of any sort to have a progressive thought… and if they do once in a blue moon, I think the non religious people should just take it and run with it.

2 Likes
3 Likes

From now on, only single-serving antipersonel weapons will be blessed, bayonets, rifles, grenades and mortars large enough to take out a platoon.

Unblessed weapons are expected to be less effective, so command will requisition more munitions to make up the gap.

2 Likes

“Come at me, bro!” He looks like he could do some serious damage with those candelabra.

1 Like

A bayonet is a weapon with a worker believer on each end.

1 Like

Bless his cotton socks… It is still okay to bless non-synthetic footwear, isn’t it?

The rumour is that he’s ex-KGB, too. I wonder what kind of gadgets that the Russian boffins installed in that regalia.

2 Likes

i take a more chris rock approach - you don’t get credit for doing the things you’re supposed to, especially if you’re actually doing a horrible job at being a human aside from doing the one thing you were supposed to, like taking care of your kids or not blessing nuclear weapons

3 Likes

To me it’s not about giving them credit, it’s just an utilitarian view on the fact that they do have a huge influence over a vast number of people, and if they happen to come down on the right side of as grievous a problem as nuclear Armageddon, even if they do it for all the wrong reasons, I’ll still take that - without making me forget that they still cause huge problems by spreading backwards views on many other important issues.

Download

6 Likes

Five is RIGHT OUT!

3 Likes

looks like something from Dune…

1 Like

Did the Church affirm or repudiate its anti-semitism?

This is the most recent piece I could find.

2 Likes

They got the headline they wanted, the true believers can now “know” the answer, and that don’t really have to do any more.

2 Likes

how is it utilitarian? we don’t need their help and capitulating to them merely solidifies their power by legitimizing them.

instead we should say yes AND you need to do X, Y, and Z or we’ll start looking into your other sins