Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s personal trainer honors her memory by performing pushups by coffin in U.S. Capitol

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/25/ruth-bader-ginsburgs-personal-trainer-honors-her-memory-by-performing-pushups-by-coffin-in-u-s-capitol.html

10 Likes

I half expected a small but determined fist to punch out through the lid of the coffin and smack Trump across the face when he stopped by to “pay his respects” yesterday.

18 Likes

Is it “honoring her memory” or tastelessly using the opportunity to get attention for himself?

4 Likes

The idea of RBG doing push ups is making me smile. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

If anybody saw the film RBG, they would be impressed at her fitness regimen.

Often when you work with a trainer you develop a close bond - they become like family.

I can only hope to be that fit when I’m in my 80s versus how I am now now: in in my 40s and feeling like I’m in my 80s because I’m so out of shape.

29 Likes

I’m going to go with honouring her memory. He knew her. They were likely close. I’m certain he is grieving and that this has special meaning for him.

29 Likes

I’m sure it’s something between them that he thought would make her smile, and that’s fine in itself, but when it’s beamed all over the intertubes at this point in time, it adds to the already-oppressive sense that the steel framework of reality is buckling and stretching like hot taffy.

3 Likes

Funeral flexing. That’s a first for me.

2 Likes

I’m fine with friends flexing their arms by bending drinks towards their mouths when I go.

4 Likes

How about funeral strippers?

:woman_shrugging:

We all mourn in our own ways!

10 Likes

This was one of three funerals I cried at.
The other two were relatives.

6 Likes

Has there ever been a SCJ that has garnered this kind of reverence upon their passing? This feels unprecedented to me.

5 Likes

In my recollection, only Thurgood Marshall came close.

16 Likes

Weird, but ok …

[room lighting dims, smoke machines and spotlight machines gradually fill space as a voice from a hidden loudspeaker booms]

“And now ladies and gentlemen, we bring you a tribute from the men of the 9th Circuit Court of A-Peelin’ off Those Shirts! It’s time to review some BRIEFS!”

[Rhythmic bass-heavy music fills rotunda as a series of chiseled, 20something law clerks clad in only speedos and lace collars begin grinding against coffin]

11 Likes

I mean, if you REALLY want to go out with a party…

4 Likes

As others have said, it’s highly likely that they formed a close, personal bond. It does seem a little crass, though.

OTOH, the bar for crass, self-serving, narcissistic callousness is so low right now that this makes for a somewhat dignified tribute.

FUCK 2020!!!

3 Likes

Thank you for this. I cherish it.

3 Likes

It is honouring her, absolutely! There is nothing more appropriate and poignant than to reflect a person through symbols, items and actions or activities that were meaningful to the deceased.

12 Likes

You’re welcome. I also do event planning for weddings and Bar-Mitzvahs.

5 Likes