Salad Cream renamed

Oh yes - late seventies, it was definitely leaching on to McDonalds promotion of “secret sauce” with the Big Mac which was relatively new at the time.

1 Like

usage occasions

Growing up in the Carolinas we dipped french fries in mayo, so we just went for that upside-down food pyramid thing.

3 Likes

Wasn’t Miracle Whip, for years and years (if not recently) sold as “salad dressing?” I’d never known of it being used in that context*, until we had a sitter stay with us while my parents went skiing. The sitter watched CBN all day and had supper ready no later than 5:30 (60-90 minutes earlier than we were accustomed to eating).

She asked if I wanted salad dressing on my salad. I answered in the affirmative. Next thing I knew, she served me a salad (lettuce etc.) with Miracle Whip piled on top.

Now I vaguely recall people my grandparents’ age calling it “salad dressing” but never using it as such**. My grandmother would also refer to margarine as “oleo,” and would send me on an errand for a № 10 can of something, and I’d come back with a № 3…

*Other than pineapple salad, i.e. a slice of Dole from a can with Miracle Whip, shredded cheese and a maraschino cherry on top.
** Except, again, on pineapple salad

1 Like

Absolutely, this is the jar design I knew best, and was always baffled by the “salad dressing” on the label.

4 Likes

Best fish I ever had in my life was in Texas. Catfish, served in some sauce containing God knows what. Utterly delicious.

2 Likes

TwoAllBeefPattiesSpecialSauceLettuceCheesePicklesOnionsOnASesameSeedBun.

1 Like

I’ve utilized the term “food lubricant” to both dismay, and yet, clarify.

4 Likes

Only Miracle Whip has the structural stability necessary when making Mrs. Eriksen’s Secret 7 Layer Salad Recipe: How I Met Your Mother Thanksgiving Episode recipe reconstruction

1 Like

For that matter, the entire phrase “homogeneous beige slime” applies just as well to good old mayonnaise. Hell, at least half of all condiments are “homogeneous slime” of whatever color.

We’re clearly supposed to be disgusted, but it’s not really clear why.

4 Likes

What the actual fuck

5 Likes

New High-Viscosity Mayonnaise To Aid In American Swallowing

2 Likes

One of the advantages of being forced to eat the food at church picnics is that, afterwards, nothing else will ever scare you.

5 Likes

I really don’t get the visceral hatred showing up here for Miracle Whip.

It’s just a slightly different-flavored version of mayo.

A lot of people don’t like mayo (hell, a lot of people don’t like pickles or saurkraut.)

Whatever.

1 Like

Sound and fury over condiments has a history here on BB:

Ketchup, useless as it is for anything but greasy frites, is usually the firestarter but heresies like Miracle Whip can also get things started.

(I may have some opinions on these matters.)

6 Likes

On the other hand people should probably be eating more salads and fewer sandwiches.

2 Likes

Which one would be better for making egg salad?

1 Like

“It’s just a slightly different-flavored version of mayo”

What sugary textureless brand of mayo are you consuming such that you’d make this comparison?

3 Likes

Boing Boing gets amazingly furious when people like the wrong food. Don’t even mention Olive Garden around here. Folks will flip their shit.

3 Likes

Sort of. It was designed to be budget/diet mayo – it’s made by whipping/emulsifying a little bit of actual mayo with salad dressing. Made to be cheap & less fatty, with a lot more sugar and vinegar. As a sandwich spread it’s actually a nice flavorful alternative to actual mayo sometimes, and works well with egg salad. But for kids like me who were told it was mayonnaise, discovering the truth of actual mayo later on made Miracle Whip feel like a betrayal. And good lord it’s nasty when hot.

6 Likes