Samantha Bee, horrified that majority of her viewers aren't registered voters, tries something

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/12/rock-the-vote.html

4 Likes

giphy

10 Likes

Don’t make me send Jules over…

21 Likes

Looks a bit like Hillary’s app.

1 Like

We don’t vote, because it’s more fun to complain.

2 Likes

And free beer on election day!

7 Likes

Isn’t Samantha Bee’s show pretty much political comedy? How do you get to where the majority of viewers of a political show are not registered to vote???

17 Likes

How dare you. Flagged.

2 Likes

If we posit a society where things are exactly like what we see happening around us, then everything about that society must in some way contribute to maintaining it’s status quo. There must be something about watching entertainers talk about politics that reinforces lack of participation in the political process.

Then again, Trump voters really seem to believe they have something to lose to “the other”, maybe the people that watch this show don’t really feel they have anything to lose personally.

1 Like

Dude. You can do both, you know. Then your complaining gains an air of authenticity.

18 Likes

Registration is just one part of the problem.

I just finished work with a campaign for my a seat on the council of New Castle County , Delaware. Only 3500 out of 10000 registered Democrats in our district came out to vote in the primary.

10 Likes

You know that used to actually happen? Like when the franchise was first opened to all white men, candidates would host parties outside the voting areas in order to attract voters to vote for them. Our democracy used to be far more raucous.

18 Likes

I think we’re all missing the real angle on this:

Lesbians Who Tech

If we can signal boost any involvement they had with this project, perhaps it would be possible to get VOTING conflated with THE GREAT LESBIAN FEMINIST CONSPIRACY, causing certain low-information and conspiracy sensitive voters to opt-out of the voting process in the same way some people burn their Nikes to spite Nike. This would remainder a better informed and more progressive voter pool.

I for one welcome our future Lesbian Tech Technocracy.

4 Likes

Band name if I’ve ever heard one.

Up there with ‘Gay Bykers on Acid’

9 Likes

I live in Philly- what do you mean USED to happen?

10 Likes

Samantha might want to investigate booze cruises for democracy.

If Shaggy can’t turn out the vote well, nobody can.

7 Likes

We have walk-in early voting in a centralized location; this last primary some of the local political organization (eg Young Progressives Demanding Action ) threw a voting party (with music and food) at this location. I didn’t go, because I like to vote on the scheduled day at my usual polling place, but I thought it was a great idea

6 Likes

I was last registered in Travis county, Texas but no longer have a valid address since I’m in Tijuana. Do I need a US address to register if I’m out of country?

5 Likes
15 Likes

I’m gonna have to call them, because I simply don’t have an “eligible” address to connect to any district in the union. I couldn’t vote even if I were there, unless someone in San Diego were kind enough to let me use their address.

5 Likes