Samantha Bee on Orlando shooting: angry and uncompromising

Looks like LGBTQ people really will be dancing on top of the graves of U.S. “Christian” “conservatives”, if Dante is correct…lust being the first layer after limbo, and all the rest of the Republican ‘virtues’ stacked underneath.

10 Likes

The more I see stuff like this in the wake of this horror, the more I’m convinced that the right is full of narcissistic individuals who can’t admit that they helped create this atmosphere of hate towards the gay community in the first place. The attempts to make this NOT about the LBGQT community has been sickening to see. While it’s certainly a terrorist attack on Americans, it was also an attack on the LBGQT community…

15 Likes

Or maybe even, specifically an attack on them, specifically driven by homophobic self-hatred. And given that Mateen was born in the U.S., that homophobia was likely fueled as much or more by Christian-generated hatred for LBGTQ people as by Islamic-generated hatred of them.

I’m not 100% convinced yet either by the “terror” charges. Yes, he called 911 to praise Isis/Isil and all, which maybe does make it a de facto terrorist act. But, he was also a regular at Pulse, so who knows, maybe we’ll find out that in his mind, going out in the glory promised to Islamic terrorists was just a cover for or denial of his twisted ambivalence about his own apparent homosexual leanings.

8 Likes

I guess if we understand terrorism as political motivated to instill terror, we can call it such, as opposed to the media hyped definition of brown muslim people attacking good white christians?

I don’t know… I guess we’re all speculating still at this point and the guy is not around to tell us exactly what he meant. But yeah, it’s an attack on the LBGQT community, first and foremost, if not solely. I’m sick of the right twisting themselves into hate pretzels in order to fit their narrative. If there is anything that’s going to show how naked they are, it’s going to be this.

9 Likes

As much as I hate to say it I think it bears repeating: there are a lot of places–even, for that matter, a lot of nightclubs–Mateen could have chosen, but he chose instead to go to a gay bar.

Regardless of his religious or cultural background and personal history he chose a gay bar, a place that advertised itself as such. And as Barry Walters says, “Nightclubs are where we’ve long learned to unlearn hate, and learn to become and love our real selves.”

That’s what makes the deliberateness of Mateen’s choice so terrible.

8 Likes

I like the idea because it knocks the piss out of a lot of ammosexual arguments (assuming they know a damn thing about property/casualty insurance).

1. It keeps gun owners from being sued to bankruptcy in case of accidental injury/death
  2. The NRA sells its own version
  3. The more insurers out there, the cheaper the rates become
  4. It creates market incentives not to be an idiot when it comes to gun storage
  5. It can be personalized and adjusted to an individual’s gun ownership situation (as opposed to regulations and bans)
  6. Arguments for having a gun handy “just in case” are generally moronic fantasy mongering.
  7. It creates a financial incentive not to stockpile guns like a nutjob.
4 Likes

Its mostly by people who have been trying to attack civil liberties of LBGQT citizens, demonizing them, and calling for their death in sermons and political rallies. Their big concern is to cover their asses and claim that they have nothing in common with the shooter. Oh no, they don’t want gays killed /sarcasm I am certain that if the US ever passed laws imprisoning and executing gays, there won’t be a peep out of that crowd.

5 Likes

The so-called National Organization For Marriage and Pastor Kevin Swanson, who held a conference attended by Ted Cruz earlier this year, actively worked to push for the death penalty for homosexuality in Uganda.

So, yes, I think you’re not only right. I think we’d see a major push for the same thing here if they didn’t think it would backfire.

4 Likes

The connection between American evangelicals and African political leaders in the effort to execute gays is very clear and direct. Scott Lively actively worked in various African countries to make it come about and is a key figure in Russia’s anti-gay pogrom.

I have zero doubt they would have tried the same here and in other developed countries if they could.

4 Likes

I have to repost the best comment from the replies to that article:

7 Likes

I’m sorry, but I have to post this again…

So we all will march together towards the future

Well, not all, per se.
Just the ones who look like me:

It’s called “Democracy”

The landed
And the wealthy
And the pious
And the healthy
And the straight ones
And the pale ones
And we only mean the male ones

If you’re all of the above, then you’re okay

As we build a new tomorrow here today!

7 Likes

It’s hypocrisy, but I’m thinking perhaps you spelled it that way on purpose, as in idiocracy, corporatocracy, etc…

1 Like

Yes - I like that double-meaning too! But no, it was a typing error that sailed through the spell checker. I have to try that again and see if that happens.

hypocrisy

no, flagged and corrected. No sure how that made it through the first time.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.