Samoa scraps daylight saving time, it's time for the rest of the world to follow suit

The international standards for dates (ANSI and ISO) are YYYYMMDD (with or without hyphens). It also works way better for a lot of file sorting conventions, depending on your operating system.
At least, I’ve found it helpful. I don’t care to see everything I wrote in any given September, usually, I want to be able to easily sort by year.

4 Likes

The documents that I translate often go out to people in many different countries with many different conventions, so I write out the month to avoid confusion.

For my own records, I use the same convention as you do (which is also standard in Japan).

1 Like

Indiana changed in 2006, but before that had counties that chose to use Central rather than Eastern time, and other counties that, whichever time zone they chose to be in, were already switching to DST with the country when the rest of the state wouldn’t:

5 Likes

I lived in Indiana when the state did not adopt DST. It was fine. The gradual shortening of winter days was just life. You got used to it.

I miss it, twice a year. Time changes can suck it.

2 Likes

Yeah, if I have the option when writing, so everywhere that doesn’t define the format specifically, I use dd-mmm-yy(yy), so 26-SEP-2021. I absolutely agree that filenames should always use yyyymmdd!

3 Likes
2 Likes

4 Likes

I’d need to check their sources, but that doesn’t seem right according to where I went to Highschool (way northern Maine). School started at 7:15 and I was often going to school in the dark. I was in a lot of clubs and sports, so I can’t remember a regular “coming home” time, but it was also often dark. :face_with_monocle: Now I wonder if my teen years were just lived in a perpetual twilight of my own imagining…

ETA I had to check bc it seemed weird that according to the map El Paso TX would never see a sunrise earlier than 7 am. According to this the map seems to have some bogus underlying data.

ETA again: apparently Monday’s are not good map reading days for me. Doh.

7 Likes

This is the source apparently:
http://andywoodruff.com/blog/where-to-hate-daylight-saving-time-and-where-to-love-it/

2 Likes

Jinx!
Okay, I don’t know which source is more legit.

I’m not sure how you are getting that. El Paso is that far west corner of Texas that is in the mountain time zone, not the no-man’s-land around Big Bend.

This might be closer to what you are looking for:

1 Like

Oh, you’re right. I wasn’t looking closely enough at the map!

1 Like

In Arizona, there’s no DST except if you’re on a Native American reservation in which case DST is observed.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.