San Juan mayor barred from speaking on Trump's Puerto Rico relief conference call

Yes, although the Jones act really is only an issue shipping from one US port to another. If Mexico (for example) shipped a bunch of goods from a Mexican port to Puerto Rico they could do it under any flag, even with the Jones act in effect. Well, so long as they didn’t stop at any US port on the way. They couldn’t stop at the US Virgin Islands and unload a bunch of aid and then go on to PR with the rest of the aid (or rather they normally couldn’t, but can with the Jones act suspended).

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. :thumbsup:

1 Like

What’s wrong with acting within the current rules? I suggested several months ago that a few thousand Dem voters should move a mile or two across the State line from Illinois to Wisconsin, making it more likely that Wisconsin would go Blue next election. I still think they should do that. And if Puerto Ricans want to move to Florida and vote Dem, why would we deny them that right?

And if turning red states blue is a priority, it would be more effective and practical to address gerrymandering, voter suppression, and other common GOP cheating tactics before moving on to impractical and unrealistic mass migrations for the purpose of voting every couple of years.

13 Likes

Well, you see, tRump isn’t actually doing the president’s job. He just wants people to think he’s great. And since he’s stupid, and a sociopath who literally can’t understand humanity he thinks being seen to have done something is as good as doing something.

Except he has no concept of timing or empathy.

9 Likes

This is not normal, and I refuse to accept it.

16 Likes

The governor of the island has asked for disaster relief, not mass evacuation. Evacuating 3.5 million people is neither practical nor does it appear to be desired by the people you’re proposing to displace.

If you want to move to Wisconsin, help yourself, but try to keep in mind that Chicago didn’t just suffer a massive natural disaster.

7 Likes

That’s why I never suggested it.

Then why haven’t we done it?

Same here.

10 Likes

Trump’s visit to Puerto Rico…er… didn’t go so well. Shockingly.

"Every death is a horror, but if you look at a real catastrophe like Katrina, and you look at the tremendous hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people that died, and you look at what happened here and what is your death count? Sixteen people, versus in the thousands,” Trump said. “You can be very proud. Sixteen versus literally thousands of people.”

He also admonished them, “I hate to tell you, Puerto Rico, but you’re throwing our budget out of whack.”

He then started throwing toilet paper to the crowd like basketballs.

11 Likes

Wow, can we tranq dart him and put a legitimate president in place yet?

Or at least impeach him? I’m pretty sure, as bad as Pence is, he actually understands that Puerto Ricans are americans and real people.

8 Likes

The final death tolls from this catastrophe aren’t even in yet, and probably won’t be for some time.

Like Lin Manuel Miranda said, Hell is waiting for him…

13 Likes

Oh, and here’s Trump telling residents without homes, water, or electricity to “have a good time”.

10 Likes

I read about that one too.

SMFH

I can only hope that his karma comes back soon and with a vengeance.

8 Likes

It’s like he has dementia but none of the people surrounding him will admit it, or do anything to keep him from hurting himself and others.

8 Likes

There are efforts being made all the time, but because the GOP have used the same tactics to cheat themselves into the statehouses and governor’s mansions it’s not an instant process and in some cases has to be done through the courts. If you have a magical solution to speed things up (moving and re-settling tens of millions of people across various state and national lines for the purpose of voting takes a LOT of time and money and the co-ordination of a cat-herder) we’d all love to hear it.

8 Likes

I seriously thought I was reading The Onion at several points during this article.

Telling a family “have a good time”? Tossing paper towels into the crowd? Telling truck drivers “it’s time to get on the road”? Admonishing PR for busting his budget (even if it was intended as a joke)?

I really didn’t think my opinion of this guy could get much lower. It’s about the one place where he continually exceeds expectations.

14 Likes

Again, I never suggested moving “tens of millions of people” across state lines. Don’t people actually read my posts?

A few thousand (potential) Dem voters won’t make the difference, especially since the GOP will make sure to use the tools I described to disqualify or otherwise render their votes void. Until those tools are removed from their arsenal first the only way to turn the country blue under your proposed demographic warfare plan is to import 10-20 million voters into various red states.

5 Likes