Sarah Sanders invents treason, suggests death penalty for Democratic leadership

Don’t get sucked into the hype whirlpool. Keep your head and work to win elections for Democrats. Beating Trump isn’t enough. We have to beat the Republican party. We have to make it a long term goal reduce Republican influence in government and politics so that we can a more rational, progressive and democratic society and government.

17 Likes

I was conflicted when the restaurant refused to serve her - now I hope it’s restaurants, grocery stores and clothing stores.

20 Likes

“Supporting a president like Trump who wants to subvert the rule of law and bring fascism to our country is treason. That’s punishable by death in this country!”

See how easy it is to throw around outlandish statements?

2 Likes

She is doing the same stupid shit she always does. Like Kelly Ann Conway, she needs to be put on permanent ignore.

8 Likes

Please tell me again why the real crime is refusing her service at swanky restaurants.

2 Likes

Yes, this really is The Bad Place.

10 Likes

In this case, I think it’s pretty obvious that the intended message was “the Dems accused Trump of treason, and treason is a death penalty offence”, not “accusing Trump of treason is a death penalty offence”. We’re not quite up to official Lèse-majesté laws yet.

But also…

This is why I said this in a previous thread:

Two years’ worth of mainstream Dems lavishing praise on the secret police and the security state. Did y’all think that that wasn’t going to turn around and bite you?

3 Likes

Ok… so is this when they start to implement Operation Handmaid’s Tale? I feel like I’ve been overestimating the role out date, so just want to be sure.

I mean, I thought that was ramping up when they started locking brown kids in cages, and then again when they denied entry to brown citizens at the southern border, and again when they detained an underage citizen in an ICE facility. But now that we’re suggesting death and treason for investigations into the president*, I’m pretty sure this is it.

1 Like

I like the targeted advertising:

BarrTarget

6 Likes

And it’s situations like this that remind us why the constitution specifically includes a fairly narrow and reasonably precise definition of ‘treason’ for legal purposes.

Not that it stops people from mouthing off; but it keeps it from actually working the way the people who mouth off think it ought to, which is a plus.

3 Likes

I believe that’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever heard as a put down to an other person. Well stated and well on target.

6 Likes

Man, do you really want to see a hangry naked Sarah Sanders?

Because that’s got to be near last on the list of things I ever want to see…

I’ve seen Turn up Charlie (where it’s Auntie Lydia, not Aunt) but not Handmaid’s Tale… so that reference made no kind of sense at first.

She can see the Russian embassy from her office window?

4 Likes

Mm, if there’s one thing we’ve learned from the news over the past week or so it’s that a given sequence of words can only have one possible interpretation. This is surely more true in English than any other language.

For example, the only possible interpretation of the phrase “while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him” by the subject of the phrase is “This completely exonerates me!”

2 Likes

Six more years.

The biggest irony being, of course, is that Trump is working on behalf of a foreign government, that is treason, and the punishment for that is, in fact, capital.

I sure hope I’m wrong here, but I’m pretty this is it. We’re done.

Isn’t this a bit of a straw man argument anyway? I’m sure some people occasionally have called what Trump did “treason” in a hyperbolic way, but no one with any power was seriously considering acting on that. The most anyone was calling for was impeachment, and maybe, if proven guilty of financial crimes once out of office to be punished for that in whatever way the courts would decide. No one was seriously saying the president should be put to death for treason. I mean, on the internet, yeah, but the internet isn’t a branch of government. Heck the house leadership has even shied away from talking impeachment (to the frustration of many, i know)

4 Likes

I just thought of something. Why are we listening to Sarah Sanders? She wasn’t elected to her post, and so by Trump “logic” that makes anything she says illegitimate.

7 Likes

Eh - I don’t live in DC nor will I ever visit Mississippi. Petal to the metal.

1 Like