Say hello to the world's first smart salt lamp

for 200 bucks, I’ll just buy some cookies

3 Likes

This fills me with the urge to DIY a better one… I’m thinking of a regular cow block, an el cheapo hole saw set, and a light bulb kit. All the woo and none of the botnet at a nice low price!

But who am I kidding, I have more lamps than I know what to do with.

4 Likes

smart salt lamp

fascinating development. what’s next, extra-strength homeopathy? deep-tissue reiki? peer-reviewed phrenology?

7 Likes

I would. Even without the italics. Would you?

What in the homeopathic hell is this pseudo-scientifc nonsense? Boing Boing, are you feeling okay?

“ZenCube is nature, improved sleep, a brighter mood, and cleaner air all laid in a single illuminated cube… ZenCube deodorizes and purifies air, balancing oxygen and your health all at once. It’s decor that’s actively working for your well-being.”

Here comes the science (no, really): https://www.livescience.com/59328-himalayan-salt-lamp-faq.html

8 Likes

I got a salt lamp for a gift a few years back, and i thoroughly enjoy it as my nightstand light. no noticeable changes in my health yet, but will check back in a few decades to let you all know if it prevented me from getting cancer!

4 Likes

If it gets me on the “people disappointed with Boingboing” list then sure :smiley:

8 Likes

There’s some craptacular reasoning in that so-called science, on a par with the claims of the lamp pushers themselves. But this is pure gold:

a chunk of charcoal with a fan blowing over it would likely have much better filtering properties

1 Like

Great article. Could use about 8-10 more "supposedly"s, though

2 Likes

How? Karma… which is ironic since this is a Himalayan salt lamp.

4 Likes

Awesome. I’m gonna put it right next to my Smart Snake Oiler.

1 Like

literally improves the atmosphere of your abode by releasing negative ions

I have enough negativity in my life. I’ll wait for the positive version.

4 Likes

Well, I think the point was that ANY effect whatsoever, however miniscule, would exceed no (or, at least infinitely more miniscule) effect. Now, had the author actually recommended that…

2 Likes

PSA essential oils and cats don’t mix

4 Likes

Oh, I’m behind the times – now I need to upgrade my Mechanical Snake Oiler.

3 Likes

Why are all the good sarcastic remarks used up before I got here.

7 Likes

Yeah. It’s dissappointing to see Boing Boing hawking this bullshit.

3 Likes

I like to think whoever left the comments enabled on this one still have their integrity though.
In fact, this has been one of the most amusing comment threads for days, so lets hope the BB store keep trying to sell us complete bollocks so we keep getting opportunities to take the piss out of them.

6 Likes

Now, a cow block lamp sounds really cool! Maybe a base made out of horseshoes or something. hmm

1 Like

Different time zones!

4 Likes