Scammer in silicone mask fooled world's rich into thinking he was French cabinet minister

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/20/scammer-in-silicone-mask-foole.html

3 Likes

Sounds like a set up for a ‘Scooby Doo’ ending. It was an old white guy in a rubber mask all along, and the real monsters are all humans.

13 Likes

A well-respected local politician is elevated to one of the most powerful positions in France, but keeps his head down and gets on with the job instead of making an international media personality of himself. The perfect target for a most audacious identity theft.

Alternative uk tabloid headline: mad lad ABSOLUTE UNIT leaves frogs gobsmacked

2 Likes

giphy

6 Likes

Not so much a deepfake, more of a… cheapfake.

17 Likes

Countdown to deepfaked influencers and social media personalities.
E: i mean completely digitally generated “personalities” that their followers don’t realize aren’t human, not pranking logan paul

1 Like

If I knew Le Drian well enough to be calling him tu instead of vous, I think I’d also notice that the dome of his (fake) head is too pointy.

Then again, I’m a portrait artist, so there’s that.

17 Likes

Interesting, the primary suspect is Gilbert Chikli, except the scam continues with Chikli behind bars. I guess once you’ve got the mask and the know-how you don’t need a mastermind anymore, assuming it is even Chikli who was initially responsible.

tu vs. vous. That’s the equivalent of “yo” vs. “hello”, right?

2 Likes

HeckifIknow. I think it’s something like “hon” (as in honey) vs. “y’all”.

3 Likes

The French government already had troubles with Fantômas in the past…

5 Likes

And I would’ve gotten away with it if it weren’t for you meddling kids!

2 Likes

This probably dates me, but like some above, my first thought was “Scooby Doo for realz!”

4 Likes

They get mad about this, but when an elderly person gets taken for every cent, they don’t even blink an eye.
“The nerve!”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.