"Scary Lucy" statue of Lucille Ball now accompanied by new lifelike sculpture

John Travolta, surely?

3 Likes

It’s like he had a rough moch-up and the city council said, “We don’t have enough money for anything else. When it’s bronze people will love it.”

The new one is still a rather cartoonish portrait, but at least it’s not so scary.

2 Likes

My favorite controversial statue to date:

7 Likes

Dave Poulin actually has a maquette of the Lucille sculpture on his website under the ‘Other’ category. It’s not quite as bad as the final sculpture, though her facial features still lack the necessary character. Choosing the Vitameatavegamin skit was a bold move; I would have picked the chocolate factory routine, but that could off the rails just as easily. I suppose he could have picked the egg tango, which could have been an even more spectacular disaster.

Rather than dwell on the sculptor’s mistakes (he has produced a very large number of works - at least 120 - and in bronze that’s no small feat) it seems to me another key part of the story revolves around small town politics. I shall refer to the Facebook group that spearheaded the campaign to replace the work:

The Scary Lucy and other equally insane statues are discussed here:

Like this bust of Gerald Ford:

… and yet more sculptural ridiculousness (including @tropo’s favorite):

3 Likes

I don’t understand the controversy about Blue Mustang. It’s a bit stylized, but I wouldn’t call it bad sculpture. Maybe they can’t get over the color scheme.

1 Like

3 Likes

I think the artist just got the work orders crossed up and thought it was supposed to be a Paulie Walnuts statue:

10 Likes

The person responsible for the Nathan Bedford Forrest monstrosity is, I believe, a huge racist but also has a grudge against the mayor’s office so the statue is intended to be an eyesore.

Maybe the Lucille Ball sculptor had an issue with the city too.

1 Like

Yours, I bet!

1 Like

And an entire line of shitty Intel processors came to be.

3 Likes

Now that Gerald Ford one is one hell of a spiritual likeness, at least.

3 Likes

Hell, you should see Scary Desi.

7 Likes

Moscone Center; ya gotta shake his hands when you walk by.

3 Likes

Hello? Is it me you’re looking for…?

4 Likes

That’s how I remember him.

The park should sell souvenirs, offering tourists a choice between Scary Lucy and Stepford Lucy. I can guess which one would sell more.

1 Like

Looks like he spent a little too much time listening to Weird Al.

1 Like

I think it was @milliefink who asked if this might be a statue of PopoBawa:

3 Likes

Maybe. I was more thinking that Lucy shared a hitherto undiscovered ancestor with Eddie Munster.

2 Likes