School superintendent arms students with rocks as protection against school shooters

13 Likes

no, but seriously… i swear, wasn’t there a situation recently in some other country where people disarmed a gunman by throwing things at him? this totally rings a bell. i don’t think this is THAT bad as far as it goes. but yes, let’s still finally get some decent gun control here, too. rocks are a much better solution than arming teachers with guns.

8 Likes

We just had active shooter training at our office and, I shit you not, this is what we were taught to do. Grab whatever is handy and throw it at the shooter to distract him while others escape. Now this does bring up the question of who will be the sacrificial thrower while everyone else hauls ass out of there, but they specifically did not cover that.

3 Likes

Or if all else fails…

6 Likes

I don’t even…

My face is contorting seeing this as it tries to express wanting to scream in the deepest frustration fury and disbelief my brain can process.

This has to be an onion article. Are we actually giving kids buckets of rocks in my home state instead of just sensible legislation on background checks?

No seriously, buckets of rocks? Really? TF!?

So this is what my country comes to? We are giving kids buckets of rocks to defend against lone gunman?

I guess this satisfies religious conservatives dual wishes of avoiding any sensible discussion of gun control and simultaneously gets kids used to biblical prophecy in schools by bringing back stoning.

Excuse me but this is so stupid the only thing I can do is go get stoned and walk away from this.

9 Likes

Or perhaps Goliath?

1 Like

which brings to my mind this heartbreaking audio from this morning’s Morning Edition on NPR: this kid is TEN, and he’s already thought about all this. this is the future the NRA wants:

9 Likes

The more I hear from the people in charge there, the more obviously that is not a bug.

3 Likes

They actually tried this crap in one of the high schools in my home town. It basically was BS since the poorer students couldn’t afford the uniforms. 9_9

5 Likes

13 Likes

(I was trying to resist; I really was…)

11 Likes

No problem. Next to the bucket of rocks, a bucket of … wait for it… rolls. And there you go.

7 Likes

5 Likes

Which, ironically, is exactly what would happen as they all ran over to the bucket of rocks.

9 Likes

This superintendent is missing a key component: put some mortar in every classroom! https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HlHJGHe3yAMhdQY/giphy.gif

2 Likes

You are perhaps not old enough to have had a wooden blackboard wiper thrown at you by an especially accurate maths teacher. It struck with the soft side, but had it been a rock…
:wink:

2 Likes

HALIBURTON will be supplying the rocks, they will cost $ 84 each and are not certified for reuse…!!

14 Likes

Ah, this is why they cut funding to libraries…

3 Likes

Im imagining the people gunning for this right now, rallying, picketing with signs, “STONES BEFORE BOOKS! OUR KIDS HAVE A RIGHT TO SELF DEFENSE!” ::read in biblical frothing at the mouth tone::

2 Likes