Scientists: Don't call them shark "attacks" anymore. They are "encounters" that sometimes result in "bites."

Be mindful of the effects of the words I use, and when some are destructive, try to use other words instead?

*not shrugging

4 Likes

I hear your point.

That said, personally I’m far less worried about the sharks than I am about other people.

I’m gonna bow out of this conversation now, and mute the thread.

3 Likes

I prefer using “taste” instead of “attack” personally.

Great white shark tastes, seriously injures California surfer

3 Likes

Also, please stop saying “heart attack.” It is really just an encounter with your heart that sometimes leaves you “not so living.”

5 Likes

5776a7935108a5329c78bf6c636e63ea2fe0af73_2_374x500

4 Likes

17 Likes

So I had four negative dog encounters as a child, leaving me with scars and fear?

2 Likes

And if it bites a limb off, it is not a loss but a “lifestyle alteration”.

Sheesh.

2 Likes

Wow, so much knee-jerk dismissal in this thread. I’m surprised we haven’t heard any Republican-style whining about “political correctness” yet.

2 Likes

The POINT isn’t that people don’t sometimes get bitten by sharks and as a result are hurt - of course that does happen (though not THAT much, considering)… the POINT is that usign the word “attack” makes it seem like the sharks are doing it ON PURPOSE for the sake of harming people, when it’s far more common that it is either mistaking a human as their normal food OR humans are doing dumb ass stuff around sharks and end up provoking them. :woman_shrugging: Sharks aren’t Jaws, hunting down humans for fun and spite. They are animals trying to eat and reacting to what’s happening around them. Using attack makes it seem as if HUMANS aren’t the ones who are entering their habitat. I can see the point the scientists who study sharks (so, you know, might have some insight into their behavior and the like) are attempting to make here.

Seriously. I wonder when it became uncool to more accurately describe the world around here?

10 Likes

So not ‘non-Doritos triangular sea mammal nibbly co-menacing meet-cute’ then?

3 Likes

Shall we also compare the numbers of sharks that have their fins amputated and then are left to drown with the number of humans likewise affected?

Sharks don’t have tanker-sized factory ships that do nothing all day, every day except amputating human limbs.

4 Likes

… or do they? That would explain all the feet that wash up in the Vancouver area.

2 Likes

Yeah, but they’re just sharks, not people, so who cares?

/s

I swear, the false conceptual division between “humans” and “animals” may well be the death of us all. Or a major cause, anyway.

2 Likes

Are you referring to a myocardial infarction?

I’m a GWS attack survivor. Permanently disabled. It sure felt like an attack to me when the shark bit me. An incident I don’t wish on any of you lot.
I seriously gave up caring about anything the for profit shark research lobby says a long time ago.
They are liars. Their best available data is complete shit.
In the USA and Oz we harvest almost every fish species but protect GWS and seals.
Populations have exploded in recent years with juveniles in abundance.
This imbalance in conservation will have serous consequences soon enough.

1 Like

I’ll need more information before answering this somewhat odd query.

If anything Jaws has led to declining shark populations from a people thinking of them as mindless killing machines and in turn popularizing shark hunting. Really sad.

5 Likes

Jaws author Peter Benchley ended up deeply regretting his sensationalism in the book because of the effect it had on shark populations.

6 Likes

Oceania has never been at war with Amity Island.

1 Like