Scots welcome new Prime Minister Boris Johnson to Edinburgh

That also neatly captures the fundamental horror of Trump. (Hey, Boris really is “Britain Trump”!)

4 Likes

They’ve confused him for Jeremy Hunt

4 Likes

I just read Ali Smith’s novel Spring about Scottish resistance to immigrant detention. I believe she’s the first novelist to set any part of a book in one of these so-called detention centers, & to empathetically portray the gradual brutification of a young guard who takes the job because there’s nothing else. Scotland comes off very well in her book. The British gov’t, not so much.

2 Likes

Yep, he’s a genius alright. He deconstructs comedy in a way few others do.

(ooh, he’s touring again later in the year)

2 Likes

Let me recommend “The Acid House”, likewise based on Irvine Welsh’s writings and with several Trainspotting actors, where the subtitle “No one knows” can be heard as “Nie cunt ken.” Trying to read Welsh’s writing is also pretty severely mindbending.

3 Likes

I have no trouble with Trainspotting as far as the movie. I can get that accent. I tired to read a bit of the book and the literal spellings the accent gave me a headache.
The one movie I have seen that was in English and did have subtitles and I was glad of it was Kes.

3 Likes

I went through the same thing reading “Filth”. I cannot stand literal spellings of thick Scottish accents in print. Its a major pet peeve.

2 Likes

You should stay away from Oor Wullie, then.

4 Likes

Yup. As far away as humanly possible!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.