SCOTUS rules Donald Trump financial records must be released to NY DA, but House won't get tax returns before election

That’s only because Trump wasn’t bootlegging.

Yup, that’s the heart of the Jon Oliver joke.

6 Likes

Even if it doesn’t it’s still an important ruling that will have implications beyond the current President (assuming the country survives the current President).

Next time a corrupt Executive tries to claim their financial records are subpoena-proof the DA will have this SCOTUS ruling saying otherwise.

12 Likes

That’s it exactly. This ruling probably won’t make a difference in the election and at the end of the day he might not even end up having to turn anything over, BUT a contrary ruling would have been a 100% indicator of the death of the rule of law.

14 Likes

Woo woo! Gotta stock up on popcorn!

Trump’s reply: “The NY DA is welcome to look at my tax returns. I am confident that they will find nothing illegal as I have nothing to hide.”

Just kidding.

14 Likes

The HOUSE will simply subpoena the NY DA and voila, tax records for all to see!! Unless they get “leaked” first BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

1 Like

Vance isn’t SDNY, which is Federal (DOJ). Vance is New York State AG. Totally separate, and critically, immune from federal pardon.

That’s not what the House subpoenaed in this case. It subpoenaed his full financial records from his accounting firm (Mazars) and his bank (DB). The House subpoenaed his taxes directly from the IRS, which was (illegally) blocked by Treasury Sec. Mnuchin.

However, if Vance finds anything incriminating in the Tax Returns, I think he has the ability to share the relevant evidence with both DOJ and Congress.

17 Likes

Easy, NY is laying criminal charges, not civil.

10 Likes

This is good news for Trump. He’s always said that he wanted to release his tax returns and this will help him.

And Mary Trump is going to be able to sue for the yuge piece of the estate she was defrauded out of. Sorry if it leaves Donnie and his spawn with nothing.

17 Likes

Yes, this will effect the election.

Because leaks happen.

Because the lack of total immunity means employees and cronies will realize that this is the time to look for a deal.

Because Trump will act even more bugfuck, alienating more independents and even some conservatives.

15 Likes

they get the debts.

2 Likes

Interestingly this ruling is basically just a straightforward application of Clinton v. Jones. Yay for bipartisanship!

7 Likes

I wonder if this is legally enough for the House and NYAG to even now subpeona associated docs from financial entities and individuals.

1 Like

unfortunately for the sake of justice, he’ll probably have a heart attack approximately 5 seconds after losing the election. if it’s not of natural causes, i’d lay odds the russian government or the friends of epstein :tm: will help one along.

4 Likes

Even if this was to “Get Don” it would not change all the damage Don has done.

After the story has caught up with Don the US needs to amend or re-write its Constitution to make what was “in good faith” be bound to some stronger medicine against tyranny.

2 Likes

It’s my understanding that a DA can subpoena records for a Grand Jury investigation but it’s still illegal to share Grand Jury evidence, thus the delay in letting any of this go public.

4 Likes

I’m speculating, but it would seem that Congress could make a pretty simple argument against separation of powers: The Executive branch already agreed to allow the IRS to provide the tax records when the Chief Executive signed the legislation Congress is now citing as the law giving them authority to request the documents. i.e. Congress and the Executive have already come to an agreement on this particular separation question.

Am I’m missing anything?

2 Likes
7 Likes

Trump has been tweeting “LAW AND ORDER!” for weeks now.

Well, doink-doink motherfucker.

17 Likes