SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

According to an attorney who I very much respect:

“ There are two critical points in the Roberts opinion that I just brought to the attention of: (1) argument about durational limits; and (2) the notion that racial categories are irrational. ”

“ Otherwise, the opinion does not go beyond college admissions.”

Though another just chimed in to disagree.

7 Likes

It certainly follows from his statement that any student who comes from a wealthy family and played life on the easiest setting would have to be truly exceptional to earn admittance to university. Gorsuch himself would certainly have difficulty meeting the requirements he sets out. At what point prior to going to Columbia had he faced any adversity at all?

9 Likes

:fu: :fu: :fu:
:fu: :fu: :fu:

10 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

I see this as the logical extension of their fear of CRT. They’re trying to make any knowledge of real U.S. history illegal through multiple facets. If a Black student doesn’t do as well on their SATs (because they can’t afford the extra tutorial help, and they got home from work at midnight, and public transportation to the test site means they had to get up 3 hours early) well, that must mean they just weren’t as academically gifted. QED.

9 Likes
8 Likes

“ “The worst thing about affirmative action is that it created a Clarence Thomas,who benefited from the program and now is in a position where he’s going to deny many young African American talented individuals an opportunity,” Johnson said.”

Harsh, but fair.

13 Likes

5 Likes
3 Likes

What a snowflake.

Snow Snowing GIF

8 Likes

He’s not wrong. It’s disturbing that a large majority of people need to make those statements. Well, more scary than disturbing.

11 Likes

It’s also enraging that Roberts doubles down by not listening or taking any action to restore the integrity of the court. From all reports, many justices lost any they might’ve had a long time ago.

Tupac Shakur 90S GIF

9 Likes

Congress needs to redraft the Equality Act to reverse these court approved discriminations flowing from the religious protections act.

And - you know - pass it after 50 years of dithering.

9 Likes
7 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes

Congress needs to make a huge cut to the Supreme Court’s budget. This is one check and balance for out of control arms of government that the Founders explicitly supported.

Start at 25/% and work from down from there depending on whether they get their act in order.

Edit:

James Madison, who would serve in the House and as secretary of state before becoming the fourth president, wrote in “Federalist No. 58” that the House “cannot only refuse, but they alone can propose, the supplies requisite for the support of government,” adding: “This power over the purse may, in fact, be regarded as the most complete and effectual weapon with which any constitution can arm the immediate representatives of the people, for obtaining a redress of every grievance, and for carrying into effect every just and salutary measure.”

7 Likes

I think I’ll start a religion that requires six particular SCOTUS jurists be punched in the face every Sunday. Freedom of religion.

7 Likes

Michael Harriot gives feedback on the affirmative action decision:

11 Likes