SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

Being replaced with an animatronic?

9 Likes

well, the previous version is in the shop… errr… hospital…

so being replaced with a new animatronic?

8 Likes

They used to just use an old-school hand puppet but they had to switch things up in 2016.

People still speak in amazement about that time they wowed the courtroom by having Thomas deliver an oral opinion while Scalia drank a glass of water.

16 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8 Likes

A showroom dummy would be cheaper, and given how little he ever says, thoroughly convincing.

9 Likes

The committee chair has, or should have, control of the mixing board and could just switch Ted’s mic off if they were serious about keeping order

8 Likes
21 Likes

I’d really rather see the Sergeant at Arms spank Cruz with a weighted paddle on national television and make him sit in the corner for a time out.

But your way works too.

14 Likes

I don’t know why this didn’t hit me yesterday because it’s blindingly obvious in retrospect, but I just heard a pundit suggest that part of the reason that every Republican Senator is attacking her for supposedly being easy on child predators is because the idea of a secret organization of child predators is one of the main parts of the qanon conspiracy, and this line of attack earns then cred among the qanon types while also offering plausible deniability that they’re explicitly reaching out to their qanon constituency. Pretty shameless but possibly effective.

15 Likes

100%. And then there’s projection as well. The lady doth protest too much.

6 Likes
9 Likes

:wink:

That certainly did play in my mental background when I chose that lovely phrase instead of “mannequin.”

9 Likes

It should be against the rules to call a witness who works for a place under investigation by the FBI

Tired Monday GIF

13 Likes

Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX

8 Likes

Considering the high rate of maternal mortality for women of color in the US, if the Constitution guaranteed a right to life, abortions would be 100% legal.

14 Likes

6 Likes

Interesting…

12 Likes

I have to question what “accountability to the public” would look like when it comes to judicial appointments. The whole idea of a lifetime appointment is to enable SCOTUS justices to rule in accordance with their view of the law even when doing so is immensely unpopular. For example, the majority of Americans didn’t personally approve of interracial marriage until decades after Loving v. Virginia, so it’s just as well no one on the court had to worry about reelection.

That said, I think we could get much the same effect by replacing lifetime appointments with a one-time fixed appointment of 20 years or so.

10 Likes

It’s amazing that all these disingenuous assholes going on about the Constitution have never heard of the 9th Amendment.

“ The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.”

14 Likes

what also really gets me about that blackburn quote is that the constitution doesn’t exist to grant rights - rights are intrinsic and inalienable. instead, the constitution describes what government can and cannot do.

it’s such a frequent gop thing to profess love of the constitution and then know next to nothing about it. ( coincidentally similar to some book they like to go on and on about )

14 Likes