SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

According to Pew Research, 11% of all married adults in the U.S. had a spouse who was a different race or ethnicity from them in 2019.

I know where this number approaches something close to 100%. (And not just in 2019.)

I figured they’d go after Loving sooner or later.

I cannot wrap my head around whatever he meant by this, and I’m thinking it’s not worth any further effort:

“Yes, I think that that’s something that if you’re not wanting the Supreme Court to weigh in on issues like that, you’re not going to be able to have your cake and eat it too,” Braun responded. “I think that’s hypocritical.”

I’ll leave it as an exercise to the reader what Sen. Braun can wrap around this:

9 Likes
23 Likes

I really admire the judge’s patience. Because fuck those ppl are awful

14 Likes

Right?

I sometimes think racism is just a tool that Republican pols use to cynically guide their rube voters around by the nose. But these hearings have been a reminder that racism runs deep inside them too.

I have no doubt that even if they don’t realize it consciously, most of these power-hungry white men really do disrespect her, and they really do underestimate her accomplishments, intelligence and capabilities, simply because she’s not only a woman, but also because she’s black.

15 Likes
14 Likes

Ug. Right now Ted Cruz is going on an on with the exact same line of attack as yesterday, talking about how some of Jackson’s sentences to child predators were a bit less than what the prosecutors asked for. How is he allowed to have this much time? And how is it productive for him to ask the same questions over and over again? He already got the sound bytes he was going for with his questioning yesterday.

And now he’s three minutes over his allotted time and won’t shut the hell up as the committee is trying to move on to the next senator.

12 Likes

he’s hoping she’ll get mad basically, so they’ll be able to say she’s unfit for the court. to create some response that’ll be on the news for days.

his fake fight with durbin(?) will get him some airtime, but he really wanted some negative reaction from her

8 Likes

They really need to bring in an orchestra to the Senate floor to drown out the ones who go over time like they do at the Oscars.

10 Likes

What happened to the good old hook?

12 Likes

Good luck getting that to work.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1506692812418416640?cxt=HHwWgICs3anI7OgpAAAA

18 Likes

Right now Senator Hawley is continuing asking basically all the same questions as Cruz over and over again and she’s finally just repeatedly saying “Senator I’ve already answered this question from you and other Senators many times and I stand by my earlier answer.” This is getting super tedious.

11 Likes

But what if I ask the same question while wearing a different hat? Does that make it different?

11 Likes

I bet this was her face each time Cruz, Hawly, Blackburn, etc opened their damned mouths…

Yep. I have little doubt that while it’s seen as a tool to keep power, they very much believe what they say.

Infuriating.

10 Likes

Cotton is doing his part to be a total ass as well. In addition to revisiting all those same questions and criticisms about sentencing, he’s currently hammering her on the fact that she represented Guantanamo Bay detainees. (Which she was assigned to do as a federal public defender). Then he asked if she ever represented victims of terrorist attacks. “Gotcha!”

14 Likes

Look, I can’t be expected to remember the names of all these assholes, can I? :grimacing:

But yeah, of the ones I heard, Cruz, Hawly, and Cotton were the worst. I missed Blackburn’s “questions” but from what I’ve read, it’s basically the same bullshit. It’s clear that they all got together and coordinated a line of attack on her, too.

Seems like Graham was doing that yesterday. So yeah, they’re coordinating.

11 Likes

Republicans, colluding on their attacks built on the same false and absurd premises??

J Peterman No GIF

/s

9 Likes

I KNOW! A shocking turn of events from the party of God, integrity, and family! /s

11 Likes
16 Likes

Separated at Birth?

6 Likes
10 Likes