SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

quite scathing.

3 Likes

FTA:

The “many hats” defense is quickly proliferating beyond the handful of people you may recognize

Wow that’s ridiculous.
I wear a lot of hats myself. I wonder what bad behavior I would be permitted to get away with.

5 Likes

200w

8 Likes

I have a pith helmet -like hat very similar to that one, btw. (Not made of pith.)

6 Likes

4 Likes
1 Like
7 Likes

Whitehouse, Hirono, Feinstein, Warren File Amicus Brief Calling Out Koch-Backed Effort to Concentrate Power in the Hands of Right-Wing Justices

5 Likes
12 Likes
11 Likes

To mix-n-match metaphors: Is this a needle moving? Or just tossing the critics a bone?

5 Likes
7 Likes

Jones and Ho Usher in gQp Minority Rule via Louisiana

the long-term implications of this case are minimal, the potential consequences for the 2024 election are enormous. The Supreme Court has held that lower court judges should not hand down decisions enjoining a state’s election laws as an election draws close — and some justices have even suggested that lower courts may not issue such injunctions as much as nine months prior to an election.

So the Robinson plaintiffs need to secure a court order imposing new maps on Louisiana soon, or there is a high risk that they will have to wait until after the 2024 election before those maps go into effect. If they do not get such a court order soon, a US House seat that should have gone to a Black Democrat will likely go to a white Republican, at least for two years.

The most likely explanation for their mandamus decision, in other words, is that Jones and Ho want the Republican Party to control the US House of Representatives. And they are willing to ignore well-established constraints on their own power in order to maximize the likelihood of a Republican Congress.

4 Likes

6 Likes

9 Likes

it’s funny because it’s not that the bribes are wrong, it’s that the bucket is so gauche. and anyway, everybody knows you give the money to the justice’s spouse. come on people, manners!

7 Likes
3 Likes

I wonder if that selfish asshole has been trying to overturn the first amendment ever since he got called out for sexually harassing people in his office. Wouldn’t surprise me if that is all he has ever stood for at this point.

10 Likes