SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

1 Like
1 Like

Cat No GIF by Looney Tunes

Dammit. This comes just as we’re finding out that wetlands are even more important than we thought! Throughout the western US, environmental groups are working with landowners like ranchers and farmers to reintroduce beavers - specifically to bring back wetlands. The implications aren’t just for clean water, but also for salmon recovery (which also means resident orca recovery) and climate change.

7 Likes

that ruling encouraged the Monroe County BOCC to reduce the buffer zone around the mangrove wetlands from 50ft to 15ft :rage:
that is the fish nursery and so many of our sportfish species spend part of their life cycle in the magroves.
all this to spur further development growth on islands that cannot be adequately evacuated in the face of a deadly hurricane. allowing more people, tourists and snowbirds to build closer and closer to the water to the detriment of the islands and the nature that inspired so many to come here.

of course, this is the type of “home rule” municipal legislation that desantis and his repugnant wrecking crew support.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Thomas said he opted to fly on the private plane of his friend and benefactor, Harlan Crow, for one of the trips on the advice of his security detail. The justices faced heightened security risks, Thomas noted, after the May, 2022 leak of the court’s majority opinion to eliminate the nationwide right to abortion and overturn Roe v. Wade.

He’s so full of shit.

5 Likes

9 Likes

We really need the eyeroll emoji :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

&/or the pukemoji

5 Likes

Liithwick and Stern point out that Thomas has attempted to kill people who miss deadlines for filing paperwork.

. Lawrence asked for an extension, equitable tolling, citing his attorney’s error. Thomas refused. Writing for the court, he explained, “ If credited, this argument would essentially equitably toll limitations periods for every person whose attorney missed a deadline. Attorney miscalculation is simply not sufficient to warrant equitable tolling, particularly in the postconviction context where prisoners have no constitutional right to counsel.”

4 Likes

I know this isn’t the point but JFK there should be a constitutional right to counsel in post conviction proceedings

7 Likes

I’m still arguing for the middle-finger emoji, myself. :fu:

8 Likes
4 Likes
7 Likes
2 Likes

3 Likes

But there was a buried lede. Within the web of dark money described in the article were the kernels of what I have long been hoping for: evidence that Ginni Thomas may have committed financial fraud as part of a larger network of illegal money flows unleashed after Citizens United .

7 Likes

Please Please Cat GIF by Guldhart

7 Likes

IKR

4 Likes