SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

About freaking time.

Of course as many people have already pointed out they haven’t clarified if there will be any kind of enforcement mechanism for this code so for now I’m still skeptical that it will actualy accomplish anything…

5 Likes

I want a frickin’ army of legal scholars to pore through the SCOTUS’ so-called “ethics” code for any rhetorical escape routes.

4 Likes

“For the most part these rules and principles are not new. … The absence of a Code, however, has led in recent years to the misunderstanding that the Justices of this Court, unlike all other jurists in this country, regard themselves as unrestricted by any ethics rules,” the justices wrote in an unsigned statement that accompanied the code. “To dispel this misunderstanding, we are issuing this Code, which largely represents a codification of principles that we have long regarded as governing our conduct.”

Just a simple misunderstanding, you see. It’s not their actions that would lead you believe some of those jurists are unrestricted by any ethics.

Supreme Court adopts ‘not new’ code of ethics with no means of enforcement - Anchorage Daily News (adn.com)

3 Likes

Their statement is a very interesting read: For SCOTUS it at the very least accomplishes their task of restating that – in their own view – everyone else out there was confused about the practical existence of (although unwritten) SCOTUS ethics code. Well, if everyone else had truly been confused, then the ethics transgressions committed so far by SCOTUS would never have occurred.

3 Likes

Does it clarify that anything they’ve done in the past is no longer acceptable? If it doesn’t then this ‘code’ isn’t worth…

Sheet GIF

6 Likes

Obviously if they can’t acknowledge the very clear ethical failures of the past then we have no reason to think they’ll do any better in the future.

7 Likes
3 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like
1 Like

Armchair “Freuds” might opine that the SCOTUS right and lower courts of similar bent are truly – in every sense of the word – motherfuckers.

I was not aware of this.

2 Likes

Cool. Now all I have to do is to commit a felony.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Sweet, do you get a gun when you enter through customs upon entry to the US?

1 Like

You’re still not supposed to take them on the plane, so just pick one up from the “take a gun, leave a gun” basket just after customs.

2 Likes

More info

This would crash the economy in short order. And the country. The Court must understand what this would do to courts at every level. The wheels of justice would fall off.

2 Likes

If only there were some sort of foundational legal document that gave Congress the authority to regulate commerce – OH WAIT.

This court, I tell ya.

6 Likes

We could expand the Article III court to take up the slack. Biden could appoint people to serve on these courts for life. A pity that the Republican House woud need to pass a law-- which they wouldn’t.

2 Likes

Wanna guess who benefits? Hint it’s not the common man.

6 Likes