SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

And that is exactly what I think is going on. Not looking to overturn the lower court, but to delay the trial until after the election to assist their chosen dictator in his attempt to destroy democracy. The only other rationale I can see is that they really do think that there is merit to this argument. Which would be terrifying, but also a reason for them to delay until after the election. Depending on who wins, might determine the direction of the ruling.

10 Likes

Obligs:

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

8 Likes

11 Likes

States’ rights, schmates rights.

14 Likes

6 Likes

And then there is this little paragraph from Amy:

I don’t know about the rest of y’all but my temp is going up not effing down.

From that thread:

7 Likes

The majority is plainly full of shit. Nothing in the amendment requires federal law to provide more detail. It’s very straightforward and has been used before to remove and make ineligible insurrectionists. SCOTUS and lower courts apply terms of the Constitution directly on a daily basis. They apply terms of other sections of this amendment directly on a daily basis. This was a portrait in cowardice.

Frankly, even the minority is, IMO, wrong. Colorado has a specific section in their state constitution that prevents ineligible candidates from appearing on the ballot. If T**** participated in an insurrection, he’s ineligible, on the face of it. The CO Supremes simply recognized and enforced that plain fact.

10 Likes

would be quite unlikely to yield a uniform answer consistent with the basic principle that the President … represent[s] all the voters in the Nation,” the court added.

Does this mean we abolish the Electoral College???

12 Likes

Y’all need a 3rd party to put a toddler on the ballot and go “Congress hasn’t said I can’t”.

1 Like

We’re gonna need to scour a lot of freezers to find a 35 year old embryo.

7 Likes

Can’t we all just get along when we’re having our rights taken away? Shouldn’t we show grace and unanimity in the face of a countermajoritarian power grab? And if at the same time, the legitimacy of the institution they happen to embody is enhanced, well, isn’t that for the best as well?

Or we could simply acknowledge that the Supreme Court operates on nothing but vibes, spite, and naked partisanship. Maybe that one, actually.

9 Likes

Colorado should make their ballots an exercise is extreme adversarial compliance. Like, have T**** on the ballot, but in the middle of a Richard Scary-esque Busytown map, hidden between the grocery store and library.

14 Likes

another part that i just cannot understand is

But even the liberals agree that allowing Colorado to manage its own ballot would “create a chaotic state-by-state patchwork, at odds with our Nation’s federalism principles.”

election laws are a patchwork by design. every state has different eligibility rules, mail in and absentee rules, voting machine requirements, ways of allocating representatives, id requirements, determinations on whether felons can voter, and on and on

plus, this court is suddenly worried about disenfranchisement, and yet they gutted the voting rights act which was adopted by congress to meet that end. i mean, really now. :confused:

13 Likes

Brilliant. Nobody would ever think to look for Trump next to the library. If he were in a town like that at all, he’d be out in front of the church, chasing away the religious people for a photo op.

12 Likes

“our enemies are at once weak and strong”

biden is apparently too decrepit and senile to be able to function as president, and yet simultaneously capable of coordinating multiple court cases in multiple federal and state jurisdictions.

/dark brandon

12 Likes

11 Likes
11 Likes
11 Likes

In the context of their hearing the ludicrous-on-it’s-face immunity claim, Barrett’s “turn the temperature down” line is particularly farcical.

Do we have to wait until Mctortle is in the ground to piss on him?

8 Likes

Probably another white lady scared by the court’s “uppity,” “aggressive” woman of color.

9 Likes